im overheating and loss of power off the line

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2002, 12:43 AM

hello ed.im the guy who boughjt a 1966 delta88 425 superrocket from a guy in idaho.his email was vegjam@aol.com.anyways love the car.but im having a overheating problem.listen i added a three row radiator and a tech from mondello performance advised me to get a aluminum water pump with water restictors and that should cure the problem.so i did and all hoses and my timing is dead on.also my fuel and air mixure is prefect.and i flushed my entire system out.nothing seems to work.it doesnt overheat when im driving.only when im stuck in traffic and ideling in drive.i use to have a 65 delta88 and i never had this proble.even though the heat gets up there at 115 in the sacramento,ca area.i was also told that on the driver side exaust there is a coil spring with a weight attached thats supposed to open when the engine gets hot to let the exhaust escape through mufflers.but told it could be rusty and old and that causes the backpressure which in turn heats the intake area up causing overhaeting.do you know what tere talking about.any suggestions.please help.
Old January 1st, 2004, 10:41 PM

try and change the cluch fan make sure it is blowing thru the radiator or add a four core radiater or you can try and add an electric fan in between the grill and the radiater if you have room olsmobiles are known to run hot you could also try and put a lower thermostat in it because it open faster and keep the moter cooler bryan166@aol.com
Old January 1st, 2004, 10:42 PM

try and change the cluch fan make sure it is blowing thru the radiator or add a four core radiater or you can try and add an electric fan in between the grill and the radiater if you have room olsmobiles are known to run hot you could also try and put a lower thermostat in it because it open faster and keep the moter cooler bryan1666@aol.com
Old January 3rd, 2004, 11:29 AM
The Charter Member

My 66 Delta88 went through an entire engine rebuild, top to bottom. I've never had any cooling problems either. The clutch fan is a big factor, I'd look for a replacement if you haven't already. I've known some car owners whom have problems with vaporlock. Perhaps you've got an air bubble caught somewhere ?