66 toro... previous owner syndrome ​​​​​​​😂😂

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2024, 10:21 AM

Edit: see next message.
Does the fuel level wire actually go through this connector? I'm not convinced it does.
Cue all of the correct "wiring diagram is wrong" replies.
So in that case, where is the fuel level wire routed?

Last edited by mike 66 toro; January 25th, 2024 at 12:46 PM.
Old January 25th, 2024, 12:44 PM

Ok it appears it does. I didn't expect the wire to go all the way to the reverse lights to get to top of tank.

I think I have two separate probems.

Fuel gauge does not move for open or short on the sender wire (just sitting around 1/4). I see 8v coming from the gauge when disconnected from the tank.

And the sender wire looks to be reading 1 or 2 ohms at tank. If I'm lucky, that's just a short...

Looks like instrument cluster is coming out again...
Old January 25th, 2024, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by mike 66 toro
Ok it appears it does. I didn't expect the wire to go all the way to the reverse lights to get to top of tank.

I think I have two separate probems.

Fuel gauge does not move for open or short on the sender wire (just sitting around 1/4). I see 8v coming from the gauge when disconnected from the tank.

And the sender wire looks to be reading 1 or 2 ohms at tank. If I'm lucky, that's just a short...

Looks like instrument cluster is coming out again...
That's interesting. I remember when I was looking into what was going on with mine, and before I understood how the circuit worked, I also saw like 7-8 volts on the connection at the sending unit which initially confused me as I figured I should see 12V but I think low voltage here is correct. If you want I can mess around with my spare gauges to see what I get? The circuit on mine however worked fine when I grounded, or opened it (gauge would swing) so the issue was a bad tank sending unit. It's almost like your gauge is stuck. If you do need a new sending unit, you can use the '67 Caddy El Dorado unit available from Caddy Daddy. Worked perfect in mine. Fusick is making repros soon but I don't think they're available yet.

By the way, the sending unit wire goes along the rear tail light harness, through a small hole then down underneath and runs along the top of the tank to the sending unit. Assembly manual shows it as well here:

Last edited by ourkid2000; January 25th, 2024 at 02:57 PM.
Old January 25th, 2024, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by ourkid2000
It's almost like your gauge is stuck.
So it turns out the gauge was stuck, and that's all that was wrong. The fuel level sender itself works! The reason the sender was showing such low ohms is because the tank was just about empty. I hooked it up on the bench much like ourkid2000's experiments, used contact cleaner, and exercised the thing (with signal) a couple hundred times. Seems to be working now. I hate removing that cluster! Invariably the vacuum lines fall off the headlight switch and I have to figure out which goes where again I left the evil ammeter alone. Perhaps it too is merely stuck. Another day...
Old January 26th, 2024, 03:49 AM

Awesome! Glad you figured it out. Don't suppose you happened to catch the colors on the inboard cluster connector wires while you were in there?
Old January 26th, 2024, 08:54 AM

Awesome! Glad you figured it out. Don't suppose you happened to catch the colors on the inboard cluster connector wires while you were in there?
I forgot to, however I ran the borescope up there just now. Hope this helps!

It's hilarious that neither of our cars ammeters agree with the wiring diagram colors nor are they the same.
How far apart are our vin numbers, out of curiosity.

Last edited by mike 66 toro; January 26th, 2024 at 09:20 AM.
Old January 26th, 2024, 03:37 PM

So, I'm a bit confused. I'm starting to think I'm missing something. You posted this picture of your inboard cluster connector, right? :

Which seems to match my inboard cluster connector:

But.....what connector is this shown below? I don't recognize it. The Red wire, shown previously, seems to be missing & replaced by a black wire? Am I seeing things all wrong?? Is the bottom of your red wire black or something?

This is my other cluster connector:

Last edited by ourkid2000; January 26th, 2024 at 03:47 PM.
Old January 26th, 2024, 03:49 PM

Old January 26th, 2024, 04:25 PM

When I decode the build date, mine says 05B which is the 2nd week of May 1966
Old January 26th, 2024, 09:05 PM

Sorry, I meant the second picture to compare yours to mine. Yes it appears my ammeter uses a black and a black/white wire.

Clarification:

Last edited by mike 66 toro; January 26th, 2024 at 09:08 PM.
Old January 27th, 2024, 05:15 AM

Oh wow, ok thanks! Now I get it.

Interesting how yours matches the actual wire colors on the wiring diagram though. I know the cluster connector depiction is wrong though.

I wonder if it has anything to do with mine being a California only model? Who knows. We got some good data though with this thread.

I bet there is a TSB or something in later years that dealt with this because mechanics must have been pulling their hair out when these systems broke.

Would love to see the actual wire colors on a '67 Toro.

Last edited by ourkid2000; January 27th, 2024 at 05:50 AM.
Old March 9th, 2024, 06:47 PM

Can't blame this one on previous owner, but probably not worthy of a new thread. My Qjet was *occasionally* puking fuel out the vent on a cold start, which would cause a stall, and then on restart it'd be fine and run like a sewing machine. Obviously that's quite suspicious. It came as no surprise when it finally got worse. Now it's just puking to the point it throws a bunch of gas on the intake manifold and can't be started..

I had rebuilt it a few months ago and changed the needle and seat. Perhaps some dirt got in somehow... With it stranded in the driveway now, I'm waiting for half decent (not raining) weather to bring the carb inside.
Old March 10th, 2024, 06:29 AM

Interesting.

Are you going to re-build it yourself? If you do, take a bunch of pictures to post on here if you get a chance. The carb you have (7041312) is the service replacement model rather than the painful original and I'm very curious if it matches the photos I have of another 7041312 that was rebuilt by one of the really good qjet re-builders.

I have pictures of the insides and it doesn't have some of the troublesome '66 Qjet features. There's no opening for the fuel bypass that's normally plugged and the inlet set is screwed in rather than pressed in. I can post my pictures if you would find that helpful.
Old March 10th, 2024, 08:58 AM

Dirt is the enemy of carburetors and extremely common. Probably one of the reasons manufacturers went to sealed EFI systems long ago.

The short version is that carburetors depend on very finely tuned voids, rods and tubes for fuel metering. If dirt gets in those, if throws off the metering.

The same goes for fuel. I I generally use a fuel filter between the tank and fuel pump - metal, not glass or plastic see-thru - and I also use the stock qjet inlet filter at the front middle of my 170-series qjets. An important part that sometimes gets lost along the way is the spring which holds that second filter in place and prevents dirt from getting to the needle & seat.

If your qjet is puking out the vent, I'm wondering if the accelerator pump shot is blocked - especially on cold start. You pump the pedal, that forces the plunger down, but if the passage is blocked, the gas has to go somewhere - and the fuel vent might be the most convenient exit....

Hope that helps,
Chris
Old March 11th, 2024, 03:44 PM

Thanks guys. Dirt was indeed the problem. Yes, my stock inlet filter is gone.

I found the cause. The inline filter was cracked internally (I have no idea how or why) so dirt from the fuel tank, and dirt in the filter, and dirt anywhere else in the lines, went directly into the carb, randomly. I pulled the top off, flushed everything, replaced the inline filter and I'm back on the road.

Sorry no pictures this time, but when I did the full rebuild I took some. I'll see if I can find those.
Old March 12th, 2024, 07:28 PM

Thanks guys. Dirt was indeed the problem. Yes, my stock inlet filter is gone.

I found the cause. The inline filter was cracked internally (I have no idea how or why) so dirt from the fuel tank, and dirt in the filter, and dirt anywhere else in the lines, went directly into the carb, randomly. I pulled the top off, flushed everything, replaced the inline filter and I'm back on the road.

Sorry no pictures this time, but when I did the full rebuild I took some. I'll see if I can find those.
Just wondering, so your inlet filter (the one in the front of the carb) had been completely removed? And an additional filter down stream was installed in its place?

I might be over filtering mine, I dunno. I have a new tank pickup sock, plus a WIX steel inline filter placed just before the fuel pump, plus the standard sintered filter in the carb. I also made up all new replacement hard fuel lines and ran new fuel hoses and cleaned the fuel tank.

Anyway, I'm nuts I guess. But yeah, I would love to take a gander at that carb of yours! I dunno why but I am fascinated by the service replacement carbs for these things.
Old March 22nd, 2024, 11:40 PM

Just wondering, so your inlet filter (the one in the front of the carb) had been completely removed? And an additional filter down stream was installed in its place?

I might be over filtering mine, I dunno. I have a new tank pickup sock, plus a WIX steel inline filter placed just before the fuel pump, plus the standard sintered filter in the carb. I also made up all new replacement hard fuel lines and ran new fuel hoses and cleaned the fuel tank.

Anyway, I'm nuts I guess. But yeah, I would love to take a gander at that carb of yours! I dunno why but I am fascinated by the service replacement carbs for these things.
Correct, the sintered inlet filter is gone on mine. I don't think you can have too many filters, personally. I'll try to take a video or more pictures. I had to pull the top off the carb yet again. I swapped float needles this time, back to the original one (which did not cause fuel gushing as I recall). The next few cold starts will tell me if this fixed it.

My weird interest in any project car is finding previous owners. Not easy (or impossible) when someone in the chain cleaned out everything at some point!

Last edited by mike 66 toro; March 22nd, 2024 at 11:46 PM.
Old March 22nd, 2024, 11:42 PM

Where can I get one of these spring wire hood helpers? I'm missing the one on the left side, and consequently the hood is fussy opening.

Old March 23rd, 2024, 07:26 AM

Where can I get one of these spring wire hood helpers? I'm missing the one on the left side, and consequently the hood is fussy opening.
Inline Tube has them
​​​​​​https://www.inlinetube.com/products/...0aAgcGEALw_wcB
Old March 23rd, 2024, 09:14 AM

Spring for opening hood

You say the left one is missing - the Toros were only equipped with one from the factory - mine is on the left/drivers side, but with a history of previous owners and a paint shop along the way, I can't totally attest to originality; however, review of pictures in 1965-1966 magazines shows 2 photos with only one, left-side spring. Occasionally you will see a second one, probably installed to help with opening a temperamental hood. If you're interested in originality, maybe first try some additional lubrication of the hood hinges at the firewall.

Old March 23rd, 2024, 11:11 AM

Yep, my '66 is a very original and unmolested example. Only one installed, drivers side.
Old March 24th, 2024, 12:43 PM

Oh! Well that solves that mystery. I ordered one anyway.

I have this issue with the hood. Pull handle, hood pops. But you can't get it open at that point. It is necessary to simultaneously pull the handle while lifting the hood. So it's a two step process, the second of which is not easy. What's going on there? The previous owner said it's a feature...
Old March 24th, 2024, 04:02 PM

A couple unique mods there. Proper oil pressure indication, tach, manual switch-pitch.

I'm once again battling a stuck fuel gauge needle (sender and wire measures fine), so I wouldn't mind having a fistful of these gauge movements.
Old March 24th, 2024, 06:16 PM

Once again, have you tried to rejuvenate the lubrication of the hood hinges at the firewall. I'm guessing the original lubrication was probably white grease which tends to dry out over time. Maybe give a squirt or two of WD40 or 3-in-1 Oil to help the hinges be more "flexible" and then work the hood up and down to maybe loosen things up.

Also, the hinge springs could have weakened over time, and that's a pretty hefty hood that you're trying to muscle open. Whatevers going on, your 2nd front hood spring should help even if not original. Good luck.
Old March 24th, 2024, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by torotoyguy
rejuvenate the lubrication of the hood hinges at the firewall.
Well it seems I hadn't tried this yet. In my defense, I have 10 vehicles, a couple of which are projects I'm working on concurrently, and I'm sure at least a few of them have had their hinges oiled. Oiling them didn't seem to help the pop at first (it moves much more smoothly though), but then applying some oil on the sides of the catch itself did make it pop up in one "yank" of the release. The left-right alignment of the hood isnt perfect so that catch is doing extra work (and friction). Definitely have to give you credit for "oil the damn thing".

Getting back to my fuel needle getting stuck, perhaps I shall use the same strategy.....

For the next and hopefully final time I pull the cluster to deal with fuel (again) and clock (again), do you have a photos wish-list for anything back there @ourkid2000 ?

Last edited by mike 66 toro; March 24th, 2024 at 07:13 PM.
Old March 25th, 2024, 08:58 AM

I'm going to have to replace the gauge coil/movement for the fuel gauge or the whole gauge. There's a lot of wobble in the shaft and it's seemingly gummy inside too. The whole plastic/whatever that holds the movement together is turning to dust. I'm assuming good working correct replacement ones are scarce? If so, I'll just gut an aftermarket gauge that has 90 deg sweep and 0-100 ohm range. ... a sort of heart transplant.

Last edited by mike 66 toro; March 25th, 2024 at 09:33 AM.
Old March 25th, 2024, 10:07 AM

Wow - I'm surprised by this process of failure, the gumming up and the "oxidation" of the plastic - who knew?
You might try John Dorcey for a complete gauge unit - 702-690-8077, or toroguy@msn.com - he's got quite a few 1st generation Toro parts cars.
Good luck.
Old March 25th, 2024, 10:51 AM

Yeah JD in Vegas is the way to go for this. I'm not 100% on this but I am pretty sure that they used the same fuel/temp gauge for all the 1st gen Toros so he should be able to get one easily enough for you. Only the oil press/gen gauge was different in later years.

Thanks for thinking of me though! I'm pretty sure I have gotten everything I need with regards to the instrument panel.
Old March 27th, 2024, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by torotoyguy
try John Dorcey for a complete gauge unit - 702-690-8077, or toroguy@msn.com
Yeah JD in Vegas is the way to go
Thanks for the lead! He responded very quickly to email and it's on the way!
Old April 3rd, 2024, 08:31 PM

LEDs for the whole dash, and "repaired" the clock for the final time. This is on max brightness. Everything in this car is finally working except I've not attempted to charge the AC...

Old April 3rd, 2024, 08:36 PM

WOW - looks awesome
Old April 3rd, 2024, 08:40 PM

Awesome dude! Great work!
Old April 22nd, 2024, 03:09 PM

Went to the paint store for another car, figured I'd ask about Dubonnet / Riviera Plum / PPG 50722 / GM WA3516 / "U".

Nothing. He couldn't find it in his system. Anyone else experience that? I'm sure I can get the paint somewhere, it just surprised me that a PPG paint store didn't know what to do.
Old April 22nd, 2024, 05:32 PM

I'm guessing that you'll just have to go through their color books and find the closest match. Products change over the years thanks to technology and government regulations, and I'm sure the materials the color codes refer to are long gone. I am surprised that they didn't just offer you a selection of colors based on year and make of the car, but maybe they don't have that sort of crossover. If you can find an original color card from the dealer, that might help match the color at the paint supplier.