'67 Toro driver's int handle loose; other door questions

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2024, 12:16 PM

'67 Toro driver's int handle loose; other door questions

Many things answered from my original post...
I'm trying to button up a few things while waiting for engine parts to show up... The driver's door handle has always moved WAY too far before engaging and releasing the door mechanism. The pic below shows how far it travels, then the last 3/4" releases the door latch. It's the inner door mechanism the handle is attached to that is loose and wobbly, not the handle or connecting bolt. Is this an easily replaced part? Not entirely. The glass has to be moved and inner door tracks have to be loosened to remove and replace this mechanism. It seems like there are only three bolts holding it in, but with no power to the window, the glass is pretty much in the way. I'm understanding at least the one long rod attaches to it, but is that it? One rod connecting to the door latch mechanism. Also, the door card pins that should attach both left and right sides are completely gone. Is there a decent alternative for those, or do we just let the panels stay loose there? Panels will stay loose for now. Next - how do I get the white and red light lenses off the lower left to replace the bulbs? With my luck I'll snap them in half. I thought they would be accessible from the back, but they are not. Finally - the metal tab the door pull attaches to - should it be bent as seen in the bottom picture? My gut says no. But reality says Yes. The bend is correct. Thanks for all the help and suggestions! And for the replacement mechanism, John

Last edited by BSiegPaint; February 24th, 2024 at 04:14 AM.
Old February 23rd, 2024, 12:21 PM

I've got some Toronado doors if your interested in used parts. I've got 1966 with power windows and 1967 with non-power windows. I'd have to check but believe they are still complete. If so, I can check the travel on the handle to see how far it goes before moving the action. John
Old February 23rd, 2024, 12:22 PM

With regards to the glass, I cobbled together a power supply and a SPDT switch to allow me to move the glass where I needed it while I worked on cleaning the tracks. You could do the same with a battery and some leads if you needed.

Old February 23rd, 2024, 12:24 PM

Hey John - If you have a driver's handle that is tight - and mine really does flop around easily even without the handle attached - I'd certainly buy the door handle mechanism from you if you can get it out. I'd guess power or no power would be exactly the same.
Old February 23rd, 2024, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by ourkid2000
With regards to the glass, I cobbled together a power supply and a SPDT switch to allow me to move the glass where I needed it while I worked on cleaning the tracks. You could do the same with a battery and some leads if you needed.

Genius - I may try that, thank you!!
Old February 23rd, 2024, 01:48 PM

I removed the release behind the door handle. I did have to loosen more than the three bolts. I couldn't find a position where the arm that raises or lowers the glass would not be in the way of removing the release. I ended up getting the glass to go higher than it should and got the piece out. I was surprised this is a sealed unit, unlike the A body that has an exposed spring. This was the non-power window door. So please check out the pictures and if you need any measurements let me know. John

Old February 23rd, 2024, 02:01 PM

John - that seems to match up with the piece I need. I can't get mine out at the moment, but I'll take yours and have it ready to go. Sending you a PM