Heater/AC control TEMP knob removal ? '67 Toro

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2023, 04:06 PM

Heater/AC control TEMP **** removal ? '67 Toro

I have a heater/ AC control unit I need to disassemble, clean, and repair but I'm not seeing how the TEMP **** comes off. It looks like maybe it's just pressed on or snapped in place - but I can't quite figure it out. Anyone know how these come off?

Old December 11th, 2023, 07:03 PM
Art S

There's an allens set screw underneath. It might have been a tiny flat tip screw, I forget.

Last edited by Supernice88; December 11th, 2023 at 07:45 PM. Reason: more info
Old December 11th, 2023, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Supernice88
There's an allens set screw underneath. It might have been a tiny flat tip screw, I forget.
Super zoom shot of the underside of the ****, and there is no screw on this one. Has to be some sort of push/pull/press kind of action it seems.

Old December 11th, 2023, 08:35 PM
Art S

They must have changed how it attaches. The pic is too zoomed in and I can't tell what I'm looking at.
Old December 11th, 2023, 09:03 PM

They must have changed how it attaches. The pic is too zoomed in and I can't tell what I'm looking at.
Zoomed out a bit more. Maybe this is just a press fit onto the end of the slider. I can’t figure it out. This is looking from the back side of the TEMP slider.

Old December 11th, 2023, 09:32 PM
Art S

That's better. It looks like if you were to use an allen wrench tip and push down on what looks like a tab in the hole that should release it to pull it off.
Old December 12th, 2023, 04:30 AM

That's better. It looks like if you were to use an allen wrench tip and push down on what looks like a tab in the hole that should release it to pull it off.
Looked like it would work - but working the piece left and right snapped the metal right in half. I may be able to salvage this if I can get the little piece out. Right now it’s soaking in PB Blaster, and if that doesn’t work, I’ll toss it in a bucket of Evaporust for a day. Frustrating. And the whole arm is riveted onto the part, so this is the only way to get the face plate off and fix the other bits. I think it’s just pressed on tightly without any other method to hold it in place.

Old December 12th, 2023, 06:27 AM
Art S

Wish someone else would chime in and help. I thought maybe it was held in by a method like a clasp such as a neckless hooks together. I feel your frustration.
Was there any movement at all, such as in or out or up and down?
Old December 12th, 2023, 06:41 AM

Wish someone else would chime in and help. I thought maybe it was held in by a method like a clasp such as a neckless hooks together. I feel your frustration.
Was there any movement at all, such as in or out or up and down?
You thought the same as I did. It SEEMED like there was a little movement outwards, and that got me to wiggling it slightly as I pulled the **** - and very quickly the bent joint just gave way, even though I was pulling at 90 degrees to its angle. That's a very weak area and it seems odd that the piece would be stamped in such a shape.
Old December 12th, 2023, 07:21 AM

So I disassembled more and found that the push buttons are pressed on to a serrated edge bar - I have to assume that the Temp piece is exactly the same. I have it soaking in Evaporust for the rest of the day while I try to clean up the rest of this unit. It may be nothing. It a learning experiment, but that’s perfectly fine.

Old December 12th, 2023, 08:50 AM

This one is missing. It seems its just pressed on.
Old December 12th, 2023, 09:00 AM

I had to uncover my Toro for another reason, so while at it, I thought I'd look at the heater/AC control. Although a set screw or some kind of clip is what you'd expect, like already said, there's nothing there except for the know itself. With the **** and buttons all secured with sawtooth barbs, their removal is definitely chancy. I hate to say it, but maybe you just need to pursue a "new" control module.
Old December 12th, 2023, 09:01 AM
Art S

As with all the car companies, with each year everything was made cheaper and more disposable. That design change must have saved the company .001 cents per car. lol
So, initially all you had to do was pull straight out hard to get it off.
Now that the tip is broken off the lever will you be able to make something to replace it?
Old December 12th, 2023, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by torotoyguy
I had to uncover my Toro for another reason, so while at it, I thought I'd look at the heater/AC control. Although a set screw or some kind of clip is what you'd expect, like already said, there's nothing there except for the know itself. With the **** and buttons all secured with sawtooth barbs, their removal is definitely chancy. I hate to say it, but maybe you just need to pursue a "new" control module.
This one is a backup to the one in my car currently - which also has issues... I'm learning as I go on this one. Some pieces are missing that make certain buttons hold and release, but the whole thing makes sense now. When I pull the other one from the dash, I'll have a better idea how to service and repair it.
Old December 12th, 2023, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jetmek
This one is missing. It seems its just pressed on.

For sure that confirms it. Crazy how yours fell off and mine is on with the grip of Superman...
Old December 13th, 2023, 07:34 AM

Just another data point. My 66 has no set screw (pictured).

Button action on mine is tight but getting better with use. If I were going to take this thing apart, I'd try one of these:

1) dip the back end into sonic cleaner with very mild defreaser to try and free things up, and reoil after.

OR 2) use a heat gun on the mechanism, on low, to soften the gunk and work it some.

Insulation above looks like it dusted onto the mechanism which likely had oil on it, gunking it up.

Old December 13th, 2023, 08:29 AM

Mike - I did pretty much exactly how you describe. The whole thing was clogged with insulation and dirt. Once the Temp **** broke, the face plate came off and the whole back of the unit was soaked in evaporust overnight. Reassembly was simple and it works like a charm - other than its missing the Temp **** :/

when I take my current one out of the dash, I’m going to try everything possible to clean and assemble without messing with the Temp ****. I’m not sure it can be done.

I’m missing a spring on the top center that holds the up a center bar to keep the buttons in place when pressed.

Old December 13th, 2023, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by BSiegPaint
Mike - I did pretty much exactly how you describe. The whole thing was clogged with insulation and dirt.
Is the remaining stub long enough to drill a small hole in and "pin" a handle on there?

If not, I'd remove that arm from the unit (I think you said it's pivot point is a rivet?) and weld a tab on the end for the ****.

Or build something that completely protects the unit from the welding drama and attempt to do it without removing the arm.

Goes without saying - lowest power setting.

Last edited by mike 66 toro; December 13th, 2023 at 03:29 PM.
Old December 13th, 2023, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by mike 66 toro
Is the remaining stub long enough to drill a small hole in and "pin" a handle on there?

If not, I'd remove that arm from the unit (I think you said it's pivot point is a rivet?) and weld a tab on the end for the ****.

Or build something that completely protects the unit from the welding drama and attempt to do it without removing the arm.

Goes without saying - lowest power setting.
Actually there is enough room for that if I use a Dremel and narrow the remaining stub such that it would fit into the ****. If I notched out an area in a board to hold the ****, I could drill into it from the bottom and thread a tiny allen drive screw into the remaining piece inside. Removing the whole arm might be too big of a challenge, as finding the correct length rivet could be difficult. I'm also guessing that JB Weld would work, though that would be absolutely permanent.
Old January 2nd, 2024, 07:39 AM

Circling back to this today, and getting a project out of the way… I found some diamond tipped fine drill bits on Amazon, and used up three of them grinding out the middle of the broken attaching post.

Then I sized up the remainder of the temperature slider, and ground the end down using a stone disk until it fit the Temp button.

I used a small hammer to tap the button back on, and while it holds fairly tightly, I think a couple drops of epoxy will be best for attaching. I have a selection of set screws, however the distance from the bottom of the **** to the armature is quite a lot.

Finally, flipping it over shows that the shortened distance really doesn’t make much difference in the appearance or performance of the slider.

Old January 2nd, 2024, 07:57 AM
Art S

Nice job, glad you figured out a way to fix it.