How does one remove headlight bulbs? 66 Toro

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2023, 03:52 PM

Question How does one remove headlight bulbs? 66 Toro

I need to change the headlight bulbs. I unscrewed the bezel around them. The bezel is loose, but I can not find a way to remove the bezel to get it out of the way of the bulbs. With the light housing up to the limit seemingly set by a stop screw, the bezel hangs up on the bottom edge. Light down it hangs up on the top edge. Anywhere in middle it seems you can't get it past the bulb. What am I missing? Do I need to disconnect its arm from the lifter actuator? Or run that stop screw in?

Picture just for reference

Last edited by mike 66 toro; December 12th, 2023 at 03:54 PM.
Old December 12th, 2023, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by mike 66 toro
I need to change the headlight bulbs. I unscrewed the bezel around them. The bezel is loose, but I can not find a way to remove the bezel to get it out of the way of the bulbs. With the light housing up to the limit seemingly set by a stop screw, the bezel hangs up on the bottom edge. Light down it hangs up on the top edge. Anywhere in middle it seems you can't get it past the bulb. What am I missing? Do I need to disconnect its arm from the lifter actuator? Or run that stop screw in?

Picture just for reference
I had mine out not long ago. I remember it being a bit fiddly but it came out. I think you just have to fiddle around with it until it comes out. I do remember that it was much more difficult to get back in than out.
Old December 13th, 2023, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by ourkid2000
I remember it being a bit fiddly
Indeed. It seems previous owners lowered the upper stop point of the doors and raised the aim of the bulbs to compensate. For aerodynamics? Had to raise the stop so the bezels could clear. Still fiddly, but much less impossible.
Old December 14th, 2023, 09:27 AM

While you're working to remove the headlight surround, I might suggest placing some heavy fabric or a wet chamois between the surround and the adjacent body to protect the paint (on both) from damage. It's been a long time since I've done any bulb replacements, but as others have said, it's not easy.