200r4 making noise

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2012, 04:48 PM

200r4 making noise

ok so fresh rebuilt motor and 200r4

tranny is making howling noise .. the guys who built the tranny say its a detent cable adjustment that must be made after driving ??

any opinion??
Old February 12th, 2012, 05:21 PM

sorry tv cable ... no answers???
Old February 13th, 2012, 03:39 PM

TV cable is suppose to be adjusted before you drive it.
Old February 13th, 2012, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Charles Ludwick
ok so fresh rebuilt motor and 200r4

tranny is making howling noise .. the guys who built the tranny say its a detent cable adjustment that must be made after driving ??

any opinion??
Charles, when is it making the howling sound? In gear when the car is not moving? Or when it is idling? Or is it howling as it is going through the gears? Hopefully the throttle valve cable was adjusted before the car even moved, this is paramount to do with these units, actually having the cable a little 'short' initially to give a harder shift (more pressure) then fine tune from there. Are you at the stage where you are filling up the unit and it is making the howling sound? A torque converter still having air in it will carry on like crazy in the noise department. A misplaced dust cover on the bottom of the bell housing can make wild noises like a runaway buzz saw too, sounding like something is going to come apart real fast. The teeth on the flex plate contact the plastic cover, thus the loud sound mentioned. Please elaborate more, and perhaps an easy answer will be had. Howie
Old February 28th, 2012, 06:45 PM

Everything Vistabrat '72 mentioned, as well as making sure nothing like a wire loom bracket is caught between the engine and tranny contacting the flexplate or convertor. TV cable ajustment is very important, but I don't beleive even one out of adjustment is going to cause the noise you are talking about. Good luck.

Last edited by goatwgn; February 28th, 2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old February 28th, 2012, 06:56 PM

it was a bad torque converter .. changed that ,, then drove about 2 miles and
the pump blew ... openeg up trans was rusty inside.. all i can say is never buy a trans from supershops .. i believe they operate in san diego , losangeles and vegas rotten people.. rotten transmission.. they will get there surprise .. something you dont do is mess with a mans oldsmobile ... be warned supershops
Old February 28th, 2012, 07:06 PM

Supershops went OOB around here more than 15 yrs. ago - were national!!
Maybe some of their old stock got to you, if rusty inside!
I'd make them pay labor, plus a fresh one!!
Old February 28th, 2012, 07:10 PM

it was a bad torque converter .. changed that ,, then drove about 2 miles and
the pump blew ... openeg up trans was rusty inside.. all i can say is never buy a trans from supershops .. i believe they operate in san diego , losangeles and vegas rotten people.. rotten transmission.. they will get there surprise .. something you dont do is mess with a mans oldsmobile ... be warned supershops
Thanks for posting your experience. I am not looking to buy anything from there, but your experience might help others who may be looking for parts to be forewarned. Too bad for you to have to go through that. I know it can be frustrating to install a new or "rebuilt" part in a car, only to have it work incorrectly, spew fluid, make noise, or break. Glad you figured it out, however. And just a tip I learned from my 2004r builder (Jakes Performance) the 2004r (and the 700r4) should be upgraded with hardened steel pump rings. And the 13 vane pump is unnecessary and weaker than the 10 vane pump.
Old February 28th, 2012, 07:10 PM

its a trans shop in el cajon (san diego) they use that name ..

they gave me back what i paid for the tranny basically but not the having to drop it 3 times ... I had to threaten them to get that part back
.. i learned always check references
Old February 28th, 2012, 07:31 PM

Damn!!! My friend just bought a 700r from them, real cheap!! I am looking into buying a 200r , i was actually thinking about buying it from them. Time to look somewhere else. Thanks!!
Old February 28th, 2012, 07:50 PM

check there reviews online.. i believe they get old trannys and spray paint them black and hope for the best ,,,, mine was supposed to be fresh built .. hi performance..it was junk .. call them and tell them that Charles said not to buy one
Old February 28th, 2012, 07:55 PM

http://super-shops-inc.com/index.html

avoid this place at all cost pass it on and put my name to it ,,,

i want them to see my name and remember me
Old February 28th, 2012, 07:59 PM

they gave me back what i paid for the tranny basically
That's a righteous refund. I'm not sure why you're acting like you got screwed.
but not the having to drop it 3 times ... I had to threaten them to get that part back
I have no idea why you'd expect this back from them.
If a part fails, do you ever get your time paid back to you for anything else ??

Bought a TV, it's not working.....
DO you get to ask them for more back then the cost of the TV for unboxing it, mounting it,
dismounting it, reboxing it, driving it back to the store ?? No......you'd be laughed at if you tried.
Old February 28th, 2012, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
That's a righteous refund.

If a part fails, do you ever get your time paid back to you for anything else ??

DO you get to ask them for more back then the cost of the TV for unboxing it, mounting it,
dismounting it, reboxing it, driving it back to the store ?? No......lol

im making the statement they jacked me .. your going to defend them without knowing the story ... i bought a supposedly built tranny it was rusty and not built ... bad pump ,, bad converter ,, you shouldnt even be posting comments to this ... putting it as if im in the wrong ????
praising them for giving money back ??? they avoided a lot of trouble if you know what i mean.. Its just a matter of time before people like that burn the wrong person
Old February 28th, 2012, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
That's a righteous refund. I'm not sure why you're acting like you got screwed.

dismounting it, reboxing it, driving it back to the store ?? No......you'd be laughed at if you tried.
why im acting like i got screwed ???? suck it
Old February 28th, 2012, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by goatwgn
And just a tip I learned from my 2004r builder (Jakes Performance) the 2004r (and the 700r4) should be upgraded with hardened steel pump rings. And the 13 vane pump is unnecessary and weaker than the 10 vane pump.
True, the harmonics IIRC would break the old pump rings, but the 13 vane is weaker.

im making the statement they jacked me .. your going to defend them without knowing the story ...
I'm going off your 1st and 2nd post to know the story.......

You didn't adjust the TV Cable properly, because you obviously didn't know this part as your posts read.
Transmission pressures have to be set properly and clearly stated you didn't do this.

You can easily burn up a new rebuilt unit quickly by NOT doing this. Ask any reputable shop.
Then you're blaming the transmission shop for the transmission blowing up.

Tell me I'm wrong.......
That's exactly how the thread reads.
You're very fortunate that you got a refund. I wouldn't try to tarnish a shops reputation
when you clearly didn't know what you were doing and very well could have destroyed that trans.

It could have been your fault is what I'm saying.......or their's, no one knows.

Last edited by Aceshigh; February 28th, 2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old February 28th, 2012, 08:26 PM

i never drove the car until the cable was adjusted .. it was at the mechanic ..
it was making the noise in park .. i had supershops come and adjust the cable ..
so f-off i didnt blow nothing up .. i had a different tranny shop open up and the
tranny was not new ... why would i come online and bash someone if i were in the wrong.. i am a business owner and would never try to ruin somebodies rep ... now you come here and accuse me of this ... like i said before suck it
Old February 28th, 2012, 08:28 PM

Clacking noise in park could have been from not filling the torque converter half way with fluid during installation.
I've had that happen before. Grow up with the "Suck it" crap.

There's no such thing as a "New" 2004R either. They were made in the 80's.
Seals and bearings get replaced.

Last edited by Aceshigh; February 28th, 2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old February 28th, 2012, 08:35 PM

dude what is your problem ???

who said clacking noise ????

it was supposed to be rebuilt ..it was old and no good to begin with ..

you must have some affiliation with them ...

independant tranny shop said opened the trans said it was junk to begin with ..

y do you want to protect there rep so bad ??
Old February 28th, 2012, 08:37 PM

im done on this thread you obviously are a part of there business...
Old February 28th, 2012, 08:38 PM

Have a nice day.

Chicago isn't near San Diego.
Old February 28th, 2012, 08:42 PM

may you be ripped off ... i will laugh my *** off ..

apparantly it was funny to you
Old February 29th, 2012, 03:40 PM

I would like to say a few words here ... supershops sold me a bad trans ... they are liars ,, they continually lied to me about what was done to the Transmission... I came online here to share my experience with them And a fellow member accuses me
of trying to tarnish there reputation and that i blew the transmission .. nothing could be farther from the truth ... AcesHigh I say you are a jerk .... you question my integrity and reputation ... like i said before I am a business owner and would never try to hurt someone who did me right ... If I would have gotten a good Transmission from them I would be praising them ... but thats not the case .. they are horrible and i hope they go out of business .. everybody is entitled to shop where they want .. i just will never reccomend them to anyone ..
Old February 29th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

He is just that way, don't take it personally. A fresh trans would not be rusty. A built trans would have hardened pump rings. You paid them money for a rebuilt, they should stand by it. Go with a known, proven 2004r builder. That is exactly what I am doing when the time comes.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 05:34 PM

It is too bad about what happened to the unit you purchased. When the independent shop dismantled the unit, what parts exactly were in rusted condition? From what your original concern was, right from the get-go, it honestly sounds like something was amiss in the unit right there. As long as the car was not being moved, even if, let us say, the throttle cable was not adjusted correctly, a failure of the converter would not have happened as long as you had oil in the unit right away. If it was being moved, adjustment was important. Where did the converter come from? Was it part of the package? A quick check to see if a transmission was indeed redone to some extent, if at least the valve body was done, would be fresh, flexible valve body gaskets in place, and no evidence of sludge packed up in spots. I hope the replacement unit behaves properly for you.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 09:24 AM
One of None W-31

Sounds like super shops is a screwed up business if they sell old, rusted crap. Thanks for alerting everyone so we can avoid them.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:25 AM

Too bad you can't legally be like that 'lil old lady in the Just Tires commercial +
THROW IT THROUGH THEIR FRONT WINDOW!!
Bet if more people could do that, some Companies would change their ways!!
Old March 6th, 2012, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Vistabrat72
It is too bad about what happened to the unit you purchased. When the independent shop dismantled the unit, what parts exactly were in rusted condition? From what your original concern was, right from the get-go, it honestly sounds like something was amiss in the unit right there. As long as the car was not being moved, even if, let us say, the throttle cable was not adjusted correctly, a failure of the converter would not have happened as long as you had oil in the unit right away. If it was being moved, adjustment was important. Where did the converter come from? Was it part of the package? A quick check to see if a transmission was indeed redone to some extent, if at least the valve body was done, would be fresh, flexible valve body gaskets in place, and no evidence of sludge packed up in spots. I hope the replacement unit behaves properly for you.

they sold me the torque converter ..

heres the story ,, i bought ,, tranny (supposedly built to handle 400+ hp)
torque converter and tv cable for 850 .. had my mechanic install it ..
was making noise.. they said they had gotten a wrong batch of converters ..
I was cautious so i told them i wanted it checked by an independant shop .. they told me if i had someone open it that it would void the warranty... they said they would check it so I agreed and they said traany was good and sent back with torque converter.. had the mechanic reinstall ... had adjusted and on the test drive it blew fluid everywhere ... ..by now im furious ... through several threats i was able to get 500 back ,, tranny has been taken apart .. by tranny shop ,had to be rebuilt and had them put in shift kit ,, and reinstall..

basically tranny had nothing done to it and was just painted black and sold as a highperformance trans... so mr. aces there you go
Old March 7th, 2012, 04:45 PM

they sold me the torque converter ..

heres the story ,, i bought ,, tranny (supposedly built to handle 400+ hp)
torque converter and tv cable for 850 .. had my mechanic install it ..
was making noise.. they said they had gotten a wrong batch of converters ..
I was cautious so i told them i wanted it checked by an independant shop .. they told me if i had someone open it that it would void the warranty... they said they would check it so I agreed and they said traany was good and sent back with torque converter.. had the mechanic reinstall ... had adjusted and on the test drive it blew fluid everywhere ... ..by now im furious ... through several threats i was able to get 500 back ,, tranny has been taken apart .. by tranny shop ,had to be rebuilt and had them put in shift kit ,, and reinstall..

basically tranny had nothing done to it and was just painted black and sold as a highperformance trans... so mr. aces there you go
It almost sounds like the front seal where the torque converter hub goes into the pump blew out if it was spraying oil everywhere. An absolute minimum modification for these transmissions (was done for the 700R4's as well) was to put a front seal retainer over the seal to keep the seal from popping off. The other modification is to drill the oil return passage back from the bushing area to 1/4-inch diameter, making sure the 'corner' was drilled out too. Staking the pump bushing also helps. But who will know now with the unit gone. Would be interesting to know what the tranny shop found in there for parts? Live and learn. Howie