1955 hydromatic help!

Search this Thread

Old April 25th, 2024, 01:42 PM

1955 hydromatic help!

Hey guys I’m new to Oldsmobiles, with this being my first one. It’s a 1955 olds 98. I just picked it up, but it’s leaking a lot of trans fluid. I just pulled the hydromatic trans out to reseal it, it’s leaking from the front main seal, and also the rear tail shaft seal.

I got a few questions regarding. I did buy a manual for the 55 but I know there’s a wealth of knowledge here and was hoping for some help.

first off when I got the trans out the rear of the torus cover seems to be really loose inside the bell housing, the retainer nut is there and tight as should be but the cover just kinda floats around is that normal? Is there a seal missing inside the rear portion of the cover?

second is I know the rear seal goes in from the inside of the tail shaft from the reaearch I’ve done, looking at the manual looks like some internals need to be removed to take the tail shaft off. How extensive is this to do just to change the seals?

lastly I’ve started to pull the fro t apart to get to the front seal, I’ve removed the torus cover and drive torus, and the fly wheel housing off the trans, now there two bolts to remove the front pump and change the seals, is that all I need to do to reseal this front leak?

im pretty mechanical and good with a wrench, just new to these cars. I’m gonna try and post a video of the torus cover hopefully it works.

thanks in advanced to any and all help!
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_3596.mov (14.25 MB, 7 views)

Last edited by ICKsteve; April 25th, 2024 at 02:01 PM.
Old April 25th, 2024, 02:53 PM
Gary

Steve,

Thanks go to you from us on CO who admire your willingness to take on the unknown in an informed way.

You are an asset to our old automobile community with your great attitude.

Just a point of history... In 1939, Oldsmobile was the first car manufacturer to offer a fully-automatic transmission. They called it Hydra-Matic.

Good luck with your repairs!

Gary
Old April 25th, 2024, 04:31 PM

I am not an expert with this vintage. But I've pulled a couple of these apart and never seen that movement. I know there's members here with knowledge of these transmissions. Hopefully someone will see your post and speak up. If you end up needing parts, where in California are you? If your close enough to Medford Oregon I have a core transmission you can have for free if your close enough to pick it up. John
Old April 25th, 2024, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I am not an expert with this vintage. But I've pulled a couple of these apart and never seen that movement. I know there's members here with knowledge of these transmissions. Hopefully someone will see your post and speak up. If you end up needing parts, where in California are you? If your close enough to Medford Oregon I have a core transmission you can have for free if your close enough to pick it up. John

I super appreciate that! You’re a bit away from me to pick up, but I do highly appreciate your offer! Nobody here in California wants to touch it, seems like everyone is scared of these things so looks like I’ll be going at doing it myself.
Old April 25th, 2024, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by VC455
Steve,

Thanks go to you from us on CO who admire your willingness to take on the unknown in an informed way.

You are an asset to our old automobile community with your great attitude.

Just a point of history... In 1939, Oldsmobile was the first car manufacturer to offer a fully-automatic transmission. They called it Hydra-Matic.

Good luck with your repairs!

Gary

I appreciate your kind words! And the bit of knowledge!
Old April 25th, 2024, 05:04 PM

Tedd Thompson has been dealing with some health issues, so he may not be on much right now. But a while back he mentioned a Transmission shop in Northern California that was well versed in the slant pan transmissions.
Old April 25th, 2024, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Tedd Thompson has been dealing with some health issues, so he may not be on much right now. But a while back he mentioned a Transmission shop in Northern California that was well versed in the slant pan transmissions.

I did read that thread. I was looking for something more local to me as the trans only needs seals, mechanically it’s operational. But sealing this thing seems to be pretty labor intensive.
Old April 26th, 2024, 04:11 AM

You can get parts for your transmission here.

https://www.fatsco.net/

I ordered from them years ago and they had great customer service and decent prices.
Old April 26th, 2024, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
You can get parts for your transmission here.

https://www.fatsco.net/

I ordered from them years ago and they had great customer service and decent prices.

thank you!
Old April 26th, 2024, 05:27 AM
Art S

Welcome to the site.
My transmission was shifting strangely when I first got my car and thought I was going to have to get it worked on, it turned out to be the linkage adjustment. I was going to go to this company to have it looked at and did call and spoke to Steve the owner who was very knowledgeable and willing to listen and give advise. Try giving him a call and see if he'll help you.

Last edited by Olds64; April 26th, 2024 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Housekeeping
Old April 26th, 2024, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Supernice88
Welcome to the site.
My transmission was shifting strangely when I first got my car and thought I was going to have to get it worked on, it turned out to be the linkage adjustment. I was going to go to this company to have it looked at and did call and spoke to Steve the owner who was very knowledgeable and willing to listen and give advise. Try giving him a call and see if he'll help you.
https://youtu.be/IFlir9F1EoI?si=6rkAey5EPrzlnU61

Will do, thank you for the recommendation.
Old April 27th, 2024, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by ICKsteve
Will do, thank you for the recommendation.
Hi Steve. Where abouts in California are you?
Old April 27th, 2024, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by zzcruzin
Hi Steve. Where abouts in California are you?

so cal. High desert area.
Old April 28th, 2024, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by ICKsteve
so cal. High desert area.
Sent you a P.M.
Old April 29th, 2024, 04:26 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Originally Posted by Supernice88
Welcome to the site.
https://youtu.be/IFlir9F1EoI?si=6rkAey5EPrzlnU61
I was very surprised to see this post about Steve Peloso. 12 years ago when I got my 56 Olds, the transmission was broke. Taking the advise of knowledgeable Classic Olds members, I had it towed to Steve Peloso who at that time was in Dedham/ West Roxbury Mass. Steve rebuilt my first year Jetaway transmission. He took the time to show me what was wrong and he showed me the repair parts that would fix it. The car has been running perfectly for all these years and all these miles. . Steve has since moved out to the Boston suburbs of Mendon Ma- just off 495 in the Milford/ Bellingham area, as he says in his video. He's a big Pontiac guy and he's famous in the local Pontiac clubs. You will never find a better classic car transmission guy. Period.