Manifold Heat Shroud

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2024, 08:35 PM

Manifold Heat Shroud

Welcome to my two part problem. While adjusting my carburetor a metal clip from my air cleaner disappeared to parts unknown. It sounded like it might have fallen into the frame. It sounded almost like a pinball when it fell - three metallic bounces.

I have been after it with a mirror and a newly acquired borescope. No luck.

Anyways, the scope cannot reach all the way down the heat shroud - the camera end is not thin enough. I have the heat shroud bolt about 75% loosened. Is it relatively easy to take off or do they get warped from the heat ? It only has about 800 miles on it.

The dimensions of mine are a poor fit. I’m not sure which aftermarket company is responsible for this atrocity. Can anyone recommend which aftermarket company makes the highest quality reproduction ?

Any ideas on where the hell the missing clip could be ? It fell from the passenger side valve cover about even with the frame cross member.
Old March 6th, 2024, 09:55 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Mike your post is hard to interrupt. If we have a language barrier here I do apologize.

I'm having a hard time following the second half of the problem from the period after "No Luck"....
What is your question regarding the heat shield? Is it factory or aftermarket? What year drive train is in the car you are asking about? Is it factory OEM? Pictures are worth 100000 words.
Fusick may make reproduction parts.

The air cleaner clip is most likely this, though this is a 68, again not sure which year or engine you are asking about?? As this clip is on different sides depending on drivetrain & year of manufacture.

Old March 7th, 2024, 07:04 AM

I have seen that clip on many GM PVC air cleaners, not too hard to find. Did it fall into the hollow front chassis member under the oil pan? Good luck.
Old March 7th, 2024, 07:57 AM

Yeah I should have been clearer. I have the NA9 California Emissions System on my ‘70 W-30. I had the clip #3977168 attached - not secure - to one of the hoses while adjusting the carburetor. The clip fell off. It either went into the Heat Shroud tube and ended up down near the exhaust manifold - which I doubt - or it took a couple of bounces and ended up going into one of the holes in the frame crossmember. This is problem #1.

Problem #2 is does the part reproduced by Year One look like the part in the CSM that I am missing ?

Problem # 3 - The Manifold Heat Shroud that I have now is an aftermarket - I do not know which company it came from. My rebuilt engine has 800 miles on it - including the shroud. The shroud never fit properly. It is too wide and makes removing one of the Spark plugs difficult. Is this a difficult part to replace with the engine in the car ? Which company is known to make a good replacement ? I want to remove it to see if the clip is in there. If I decide to reuse it will it be difficult to put back on ? I’m sure that it must warp a bit due the extreme heat.

Old March 7th, 2024, 09:24 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

From looking at my 68s You will need to R&R the exhaust manifold to get at it. See the pix. This is an original 68 Y mani.
More familiar with 68-69s but 70 is same chassis and block design.

If that clip went down this type of riser a flex magnet should fish it out.

As far as who is making a good reproduction??? Call and discuss it with YO or Fusick or other high quality repro suppliers.

So the NA9 actually pulls air from the other side of the wheel well? Got a pic of this in the car. Dont ever see this option in a W car. Or is it my turn at mis-interpretation?

Old March 8th, 2024, 07:50 AM

Cars sold in California in 1970 required it.

Old March 8th, 2024, 01:53 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Ah I see said the blind man,,,
Old March 8th, 2024, 07:17 PM

This is the clip holding the plastic elbow in the air cleaner snorkel, out near the open end of the snorkel, correct? Not sure anyone repop's that but I may be able to get measurements for you from one I have. John
Old March 10th, 2024, 02:35 PM

I'm not sure I'm on the right track. You described your clip as going down into the heat shroud tube. So I figured the clip would be on the inside of the snorkel. But on my car there is no clip at all. The hose from the charcoal canister attached to the underside of the snorkel and the inside has a shoulder that fits against it. Here's a photo of what I was thinking you were describing. Am I on the wrong path?

Old March 13th, 2024, 01:53 AM

The clip is attached on the underside of the snorkel, there is a groove in the elbow for it. I took this off a 2BBL air cleaner. Hard to find but not impossible.

Last edited by shiftbyear; March 13th, 2024 at 01:56 AM. Reason: more info
Old March 16th, 2024, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by shiftbyear
The clip is attached on the underside of the snorkel, there is a groove in the elbow for it. I took this off a 2BBL air cleaner. Hard to find but not impossible.

Mine must be missing. But since the OP described his as going down the hot air shroud I was focused on the inside. If you still have the part maybe you could measure it for the OP? That would give him more details to go on searching for the proper clip.
Old March 16th, 2024, 03:04 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Mike,
I'd go fishing in the frame or riser with a flexible magnet before you drive the car and risk loosing an unobtainable part.

But that clip looks exactly like the regular PCV air cleaner side element clip. GM would likely have used an available OTS part verses inventing a new one...cost cost cost.

Last edited by droldsmorland; March 16th, 2024 at 03:11 PM.
Old March 16th, 2024, 04:03 PM

I think the breather clip you show (droldsmorland) is too wide - too large of an opening. The diameter of the hole in the air cleaner snorkel is .50 - .513 so that will be close to what the clip opening is for the plastic fitting.