General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

To the members: Spam attack today

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2019, 05:53 AM
Old(s) Fart

To the members: Spam attack today

To all members,

Yeah, we know about it. This spambot uses multiple IP addresses to register a boatload of new user names, and each name sends one PM to members. The Mods and Admins are aware of this and working it. Unfortunately, it isn't as easy as just banning one user, as every PM has a different user name. Please bear with us. CO isn't alone. Other automotive forums have had similar attacks in the last week or so.
Old November 26th, 2019, 06:33 AM

Received one as a PM this morning.
Old November 26th, 2019, 06:53 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by edzolz
Received one as a PM this morning.
Everyone did, each one from a different user name, so we can't just ban a user. Unfortunately the forum admins are on the west coast, so give them time to wake up.
Old November 26th, 2019, 10:05 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Just as irritating as the robocalls.
What do these people(bottom-feeding scourge bass-turds) really expect to gain...besides unscrupulous monetary and identity theft benefits?
Just think if this time and energy were spent legitimately pursuing something constructive and beneficial to mankind vs this annoyance.

Liken it to the high pitched harmonic buzz of a mosquito at night in your bedroom. WHERES THE RAID or electric tennis racket zapper!

Hats off to the IT guys if they figure it out.
PM their addresses so we can send each one a case of beer or a bottle of scotch!
Old November 26th, 2019, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Spoke with IB and their tech people are on it. Apparently this is going on among a number of their sites.
Old November 26th, 2019, 10:21 AM
Jeff

Not only are they on it, they were able to delete the message out of my inbox without me having to do it.

Nice job, admins!
Old November 26th, 2019, 10:27 AM

So, that babe really isn't interested in getting a decent weinering from yours truly?

Not that I would have....but it was flattering to think I was still in demand.

Disappointing.

Cheers,

Troy

Last edited by troyd; November 26th, 2019 at 05:09 PM.
Old November 26th, 2019, 11:31 AM

LOL, and I thought I was special getting that
Old November 26th, 2019, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by 1970greensupreme
LOL, and I thought I was special getting that

I understand the feeling. It seems that hardly a day goes by without a woman (or women on a good day!) throwing their bras and panties at me when I’m out in public. I still get the thrill every time it happens.

Having confessed to that minor inconvenience, I’m curious what COULD happen if I were stupid enough to click on the link? What do the scammers/hackers/intestinal parasites hope to accomplish? I’m a computer idiot, I do my automotive forum stuff from my phone. What are the risk difference between a PC and a phone?

This is a messed up world we are living in. As if we didn’t have enough things to worry about, everyone needs to protect their “hardware” and “software”. Just remember, anytime you use technology, always use a condom. 👍
Old November 26th, 2019, 12:41 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Originally Posted by matt69olds
Having confessed to that minor inconvenience, I’m curious what COULD happen if I were stupid enough to click on the link? What do the scammers/hackers/intestinal parasites hope to accomplish? I’m a computer idiot, I do my automotive forum stuff from my phone. What are the risk difference between a PC and a phone?
I am 100% certain that a handful of guys clicked on it, they will never admit it but they clicked on it. Same thing happens on Facebook, even after being warned some (desperate) guys will still click on it in hope to get a glimpse of *****.
Old November 26th, 2019, 01:00 PM

I guess I’m still kinda stuck in the dark ages. There is no shortage of nudity in cyberspace ( so I’m told&#128519 it would seem there are better places to find full frontal nudity than a automotive forum. I’m curious what the incentive is for these messages, what do the senders hope to get out of the effort?
Old November 26th, 2019, 01:07 PM

She wanted us to hook up for romantic sex, I declined because I didn't want any romance...
Old November 26th, 2019, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by matt69olds
The website will have a variety of malicious code embedded in it. Some might harvest data such as user id's and passwords from your computer (looking for access to financial sites) and others may leave programs that will run constantly logging your keystrokes and other information for the same purpose.

Other code may cause your computer to become part of a "zombie army" of processors used by criminal organizations for hacking attempts and cyber attacks.

That's the short story. Make sure you have a good antivirus program installed at all times, and keep it up to date. Phones are also vulnerable. A new one for phones is caution against using public USB charging stations, like in airports. The "latest" thing is something called juice jacking where computers may be hidden in the charging system and will access your passwords and data.
Old November 26th, 2019, 04:41 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

OY! Going off-grid is more inviting every day.