The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New member to the site - 1962 Starfire

Search this Thread

Old October 6th, 2023, 05:06 PM

New member to the site - 1962 Starfire

Hello from the Pacific Northwest! Been watching this forum for a little while, but decided to finally make an account. Let’s get straight to the car!

I purchased this 1962 Oldsmobile Starfire last June, an original California car that made its way up to Washington State in the mid-1980s. It’s only been in the hands of 2 families before me, and it spent most of its time in the hands of the original owner and his family. This car started it’s life as a company car, gifted to him by Kraft Foods in San Francisco back in the day, as he was a manager of one of their departments. When he passed away, his daughter inherited the vehicle in 1985 and drove it until engine problems started to occur in 1999. Her husband worked on it for a bit until she passed away, and then he lost interest in it. It was acquired by the previous owner in 2010, taken apart at the time and it transferred ownership. After 7 years of he got it finished up and in working order to the best of his ability. Although the car still needs plenty of TLC, the time and effort he put in shows. I feel very blessed to have such a special vehicle, and plan on getting it as close as possible to its original 1962 condition.

While I do love the brighter red, it originally wore the beautiful “Garnet Mist” as Oldsmobile called it. The paint isn’t perfect, so I’ll have it professionally done sometime in the future, likely to its original shade. The two-tone I’m keeping, it’s rarely seen compared to the solid color vehicles, and I think it looks much better!

Just about all the trim is on the car, besides a couple tiny bits on the door behind the lock.

There’s not much work to be done back here besides replacing the antenna with a correct power one. I like to say this car has tailfins, just ones that run horizontally instead of vertically!

Moving on to the interior, you can see the loads of options this vehicle had, including (but not limited to) factory AC, power windows, and a power seat.

Let’s finish with the 394 V8. It has its issues starting, but it runs like a Swiss watch once it fires.

That sums it up, I hope you guys enjoyed reading this Starfire’s story. I look forward to many more posts on this forum!
Old October 6th, 2023, 05:27 PM

Welcome to the site! Congratulations on finding the car! Thank you for sharing pictures and the story behind your car. Too many of our cars don't have a history that can be traced like yours.
John
Old October 6th, 2023, 05:29 PM

Welcome! Looks like you found a great car to start with.
Old October 6th, 2023, 05:49 PM

Welcome. The car is beautiful and has the history! I wish you many happy miles..

It appears to have had the steel line between the fuel pump and the carburetor replaced with rubber hose and a filter. The steel line is safer from a leak/fire perspective, consider changing it back to steel. Rubber is fine on the suction side of the pump, not on the pressure side.
Old October 6th, 2023, 06:24 PM
Phantom Phixer

Welcome to Classicoldsmobile.com.
Come and join the "Darksiders" (61 thru 70 big car owners) at this thread;
61-70 Big Cars, "Darksiders" unite ! - ClassicOldsmobile.com
Old October 6th, 2023, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, it looks to be in remarkable shape.
Old October 6th, 2023, 07:10 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Welcome!
Nice clean example.
The older I get the more I appreciate the early 60s big cars. Those spinner hubcaps optional? They look like older mid-late 50s Fiestas or aftermarket, "period" cool?
Darker L code Garnet Red would look good with the interior and white.

Hard starting can be a few different things or a few combinations of things.
The best way to trouble shoot is to NOT throw parts at it. Find the problem(s) by systematically going through each engine system. Let us know when you need help.
Sounds fuel-related if it runs good after the initial hard start. Choke set ok?

Do yourself a favor and start cleaning all electrical connections. As many as you can find even bulb sockets. Grounds are your friend.

In the attachment are some tips and safety-related suggestions that may not be on your radar yet. Dont want to see it or you get hurt.
Steve

Last edited by droldsmorland; October 8th, 2023 at 05:37 PM.
Old October 6th, 2023, 07:57 PM
Oldsdruid

You have a late build car so I figured it came Chariot Red. Garnet is a good color for a 62 though, and I see a lot more 62s with contrast color roof than I do with body and roof the same color.

Those tiny moldings are missing on a lot of 62 Starfires. I don't think he's made them yet but check with Oldskeeper here on CO, or his website is www.jaswest.com . Steve reproduces the aluminum side panels among other things for early 60s big Oldsmobiles.

Hard starting could be fuel, choke, or ignition related. Is car still on points ignition system or has it had an electronic conversion installed? Ethanol fuel will contribute to hard starting on a carbureted engine too.

Those look like aftermarket 56 Fiesta caps. They're probably on it because someone got tired of fooling with the 1962 clip-on full wheelcovers. That or it was changed to 15" wheels in an effort to find affordable tires.

JasWest or Fusick www.fusick.com are your best bets for what little is out there for your Starfire.
Old October 6th, 2023, 08:12 PM
Oldsdruid

If you have a good non-rotted rear bumper and the SlimJim functions reasonably well you're way ahead of the game with this Starfire. You need these if you don't already have them. Both of them, preferably original print copies. Reprints and CD-ROM copies lose critical detail. Same books the dealer mechanics used to service your Starfire 60 years ago.

Old October 6th, 2023, 08:20 PM
Old School Olds

Welcome to the site. I have always been a fan of the '62 Starfire. Yours looks to have been well taken care of, enjoy.
Old October 6th, 2023, 09:04 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Welcome to the site. I love 62 Starfires. Enjoy your car.
Old October 7th, 2023, 06:24 AM
Old(s)GuysRule

Welcome aboard! WOW! That is one beautiful Starfire!
Old October 7th, 2023, 01:25 PM
Oldsdruid

Does this car still have its Rochester 4GC carburetor? I'm seeing things that make me think it's had an Edelbrock AFB put on.
Old October 7th, 2023, 11:05 PM

First off, thank you all for the warm welcome, advice, and kind words! I’m liking this place already.

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
Welcome. The car is beautiful and has the history! I wish you many happy miles..

It appears to have had the steel line between the fuel pump and the carburetor replaced with rubber hose and a filter. The steel line is safer from a leak/fire perspective, consider changing it back to steel. Rubber is fine on the suction side of the pump, not on the pressure side.
Wow, didn’t even know these had that steel line, there’s a lot that’s not perfect or original in my engine bay. I looked up pictures and saw exactly what you mean. I’ll need to look into finding that part but I bet that’s near impossible. If anyone has a lead on that please let me know.

Originally Posted by rocketraider
You have a late build car so I figured it came Chariot Red. Garnet is a good color for a 62 though, and I see a lot more 62s with contrast color roof than I do with body and roof the same color.

Those tiny moldings are missing on a lot of 62 Starfires. I don't think he's made them yet but check with Oldskeeper here on CO, or his website is www.jaswest.com . Steve reproduces the aluminum side panels among other things for early 60s big Oldsmobiles.

Hard starting could be fuel, choke, or ignition related. Is car still on points ignition system or has it had an electronic conversion installed? Ethanol fuel will contribute to hard starting on a carbureted engine too.

Those look like aftermarket 56 Fiesta caps. They're probably on it because someone got tired of fooling with the 1962 clip-on full wheelcovers. That or it was changed to 15" wheels in an effort to find affordable tires.

JasWest or Fusick www.fusick.com are your best bets for what little is out there for your Starfire.
When I first bought it I assumed it was originally Chariot red too, but the Fisher body tag states otherwise. It was originally a Garnet Mist and Provincal White vehicle. The previous owner said he repainted it, and the leftover paint was included in the sale along with other extra parts. It’s an aftermarket color called Flame Red.

I heard there was a guy that made reproduction trim parts but didn’t know the website, thanks for the link. I’ll contact him check if he makes the parts I’m missing. The carburetor was rebuilt but I haven’t gotten around to properly adjusting the choke yet, which I think is the main reason for the starting issues, although it is still on its points ignition system.
The caps look almost identical to the ‘56 Fiesta caps, I thought the exact same thing, but after doing some research found out that it’s these aftermarket ones here: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Tri-Bar-Spinner-Style-15-Inch-Wheel-Cover,35400.html?
They make 14 inch ones too, I need to measure mine to see which if the two they are. The original hubcaps were stolen while it was being worked on by the husband of the original owner’s daughter after she passed and before he sold it. A lot of components were taken including all the AC stuff and original Wonder Bar Radio. I bought a set of the right caps but I didn’t get the clips yet. I saw Fusick makes them, but I find it hard paying 200 bucks for them. I don’t think the wheels are original and don’t know if they’re sized properly for the hubcaps yet.

If you have a good non-rotted rear bumper and the SlimJim functions reasonably well you're way ahead of the game with this Starfire. You need these if you don't already have them. Both of them, preferably original print copies. Reprints and CD-ROM copies lose critical detail. Same books the dealer mechanics used to service your Starfire 60 years ago.

Yes I heard I need both booklets. I haven’t gotten around to doing a good search on those yet. Good to know that I need to find originals.

Does this car still have its Rochester 4GC carburetor? I'm seeing things that make me think it's had an Edelbrock AFB put on.
Yup, it still has the original Rochester 4GC. What makes you think it’s got a fuel injection just out of curiosity? I’m trying to figure out all that shouldn’t be in the engine bay that I need to replace to get it as original as possible.

Last edited by Telstar; October 7th, 2023 at 11:13 PM.
Old October 8th, 2023, 04:07 AM

Welcome, beautiful Oldsmobile.
Old October 8th, 2023, 08:44 AM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by Telstar
First off, thank you all for the warm welcome, advice, and kind words! I’m liking this place already.

Wow, didn’t even know these had that steel line, there’s a lot that’s not perfect or original in my engine bay. I looked up pictures and saw exactly what you mean. I’ll need to look into finding that part but I bet that’s near impossible.

Yup, it still has the original Rochester 4GC. What makes you think it’s got a fuel injection just out of curiosity? I’m trying to figure out all that shouldn’t be in the engine bay that I need to replace to get it as original as possible.

Was going by fuel line routing and what appears to be a PCV hose routed to front of carb. Oldsmobile routed it to a port on the back of the throttle plate. A 1962 CA car would have come with a PCV setup; if this one moved into CA it may have had a retrofit kit installed.

Edelbrock AFB is a 4 barrel carburetor patterned after the original Carter/Federal-Mogul AFB carbs. I don't know what you'd get into trying to make a HydraMatic work with an EFI conversion. I know people who have pulled it off using the E-brock carb, but it entailed a whole lot of trial and error.

You may have to fabricate your own steel fuel line. Best thing would be find the steel lines and glass bowl fuel filter from a parts car. It can come from any 62 (and probably 61) 4-barrel 394 which Super 88 and Ninety Eight also used.
Old December 17th, 2023, 05:34 PM

Was going by fuel line routing and what appears to be a PCV hose routed to front of carb. Oldsmobile routed it to a port on the back of the throttle plate. A 1962 CA car would have come with a PCV setup; if this one moved into CA it may have had a retrofit kit installed.

Edelbrock AFB is a 4 barrel carburetor patterned after the original Carter/Federal-Mogul AFB carbs. I don't know what you'd get into trying to make a HydraMatic work with an EFI conversion. I know people who have pulled it off using the E-brock carb, but it entailed a whole lot of trial and error.

You may have to fabricate your own steel fuel line. Best thing would be find the steel lines and glass bowl fuel filter from a parts car. It can come from any 62 (and probably 61) 4-barrel 394 which Super 88 and Ninety Eight also used.
Meant to get back to this a long time ago but never did, my apologies. Been really busy the past couple months.

Mine is a BC-coded Southgate California assembled vehicle, but the PCV setup was already routed to the front when I bought it. I didn't know they were originally routed to the rear of the plate, I'll need to do some more research into that and how that's done, as the majority of the pictures I've seen are all routed to the front. I also found this link here, which claims to be the right metal fuel hose for '61-64 Oldsmobiles, which looks correct but I want to verify before I purchase anything.

Also going way back, you mentioned the importance of both the 1961 and 1962 shop manuals, and I've found an eBay store that has both the ones in the images you posted, but also this 1961 Starfire supplement booklet. Is this necessary to have too?
Old December 17th, 2023, 06:37 PM
Oldsdruid

The 61 SF Supplement was issued when the Starfire was introduced in January 1961. I don't think there's anything in it that applies to 62 but if you can get it cheap enough it won't hurt to have it. The 62 manual covers only things that changed for the 1962 model year. 61/62 is the only time Olds issued a service manual that required the previous year's issue to cover everything.
Old December 17th, 2023, 07:11 PM

Good to know, thanks.
Old December 18th, 2023, 12:52 PM

Very nice, Welcome!
Old December 20th, 2023, 09:27 AM

That is a true classic. A piece of history. Congrats
Old December 20th, 2023, 09:51 AM

Welcome Aboard…. Great site with a lot of knowledgeable people…
The undisputed # 1 is Joe Padavano…
Right behind him is Charlie Jones…..

I have a lot of parts for your ride —- mechanical, NEW and N.O.S……
( Nothing in the Used world… )

In my estimation / my opinion —- the 1962 Oldsmobile Starfire is
Oldsmobile’s most glorious and most stylish car ever…

Congratulations, Craig…..
Old December 28th, 2023, 09:25 AM

Very nice, congrats! Love the '62 Starfire!
Old December 28th, 2023, 10:32 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Your car must have 15" wheels on it since it has 56 Starfire wheel covers on it. The 62 came with 14" wheels. Just my opinion but I think the 62 Starfire wheel covers look lots better.
Old December 28th, 2023, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
your car must have 15" wheels on it since it has 56 starfire wheel covers on it. The 62 came with 14" wheels. Just my opinion but i think the 62 starfire wheel covers look lots better.
Old December 28th, 2023, 08:21 PM

The front of the base has the vacuum line from the passenger side rocker cover and the rear of the cab has the hose to the vacuum tank and the steel line from the vacuum side of the dual action fuel pump. I would have to check but I think there is also a line to the distributor for vac advance.
The hose for the front should be a formed hose but finding a good one will be a challange.
Steve
Old December 28th, 2023, 08:38 PM
Phantom Phixer

This illustration may make it clearer.
4 barrel carb is in left upper corner.

Old February 3rd, 2024, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by mpolds
Welcome Aboard…. Great site with a lot of knowledgeable people…
The undisputed # 1 is Joe Padavano…
Right behind him is Charlie Jones…..

I have a lot of parts for your ride —- mechanical, NEW and N.O.S……
( Nothing in the Used world… )

In my estimation / my opinion —- the 1962 Oldsmobile Starfire is
Oldsmobile’s most glorious and most stylish car ever…

Congratulations, Craig…..
Thank you, and I second that! I'd be interested in seeing what parts you have if you're selling any of them. Off the top of my head I still need a Wonder Bar radio for mine, correct ball-topped shift lever, the parking brake doesn't work, and I know some AC elements are still needed (both very hard to find, I did find a compressor for the AC but know there are other missing parts). I know it's got plenty of other things it needs too, I still have to fully go through it. Lots of lights are out, including most of the dash, only the tachometer and AC switch are lit, which ironically are both broken. It's in winter storage at the moment, I'll really troubleshoot it during the spring. Feel free to message me about anything you have for the vehicle in the meantime.

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Your car must have 15" wheels on it since it has 56 Starfire wheel covers on it. The 62 came with 14" wheels. Just my opinion but I think the 62 Starfire wheel covers look lots better.
I agree, I have a solid set of factory ones for the car, but I need to get the proper mounting clips that are on Fusick. According to the Fisher body plate the car originally had L-code Garnet Mist on the hubcaps, but I found a set with white because I feel like that will compliment the top better. The car does still have 14inch wheels, the wheel covers are aftermarket mockups that resemble the '56 Fiesta ones, as seen in this link here.

And thank you to OldsKeeper and Charlie Jones for the additional information, that'll come in handy.

Last edited by Telstar; February 3rd, 2024 at 03:27 PM.
Old April 24th, 2024, 02:57 AM
Mikeyt

Very nice!
Old April 24th, 2024, 10:18 AM

Not sure how I missed this thread for so long but:

Welcome aboard and congratulations on your good taste in large Oldsmobiles. That is a nice looking car, does it drive well? If you have not already done so see Charlie and join "The Darksiders" Looking forward to following your progress.