Acrylic lacquer clear blending question

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2023, 08:24 PM

That turned out nicer than most shops that do it every day. Probably tough to find a shop that would know how to shoot lacquer.Good job.
Dustin
Old January 22nd, 2023, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Post70
That turned out nicer than most shops that do it every day. Probably tough to find a shop that would know how to shoot lacquer.Good job.
Dustin
Thank you..
Old March 11th, 2023, 03:33 AM

Yes, I've painted quite a few cars with lacquer as a hobbyist. But, it's been probably almost 30 years since I last painted a car and being 70 now, I'm lacking the confidence that I had in my youth! I am enjoying your posts and you are doing a very nice job on these repairs. Very nice indeed. I hope to get mine stripped, primed and painted in lacquer this summer. I've had the Viking Blue and High Performance clear lacquer paint for 20 years and will be painting the whole car. I was going to use an HVLP gun to paint the car but some say that it won't spray the metallic right? Looks like yours sprayed out well. I've always used siphon spray guns. I have a Binks 2000 gun with an agitator in the cup and thought that might work better but I hate not to use the HVLP guns! Oh well, I'll figure it out. I am saving your posts for further review. I need to get over my "paralysis by analysis" problem! LOL
Old March 11th, 2023, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by OLE442
Yes, I've painted quite a few cars with lacquer as a hobbyist. But, it's been probably almost 30 years since I last painted a car and being 70 now, I'm lacking the confidence that I had in my youth! I am enjoying your posts and you are doing a very nice job on these repairs. Very nice indeed. I hope to get mine stripped, primed and painted in lacquer this summer. I've had the Viking Blue and High Performance clear lacquer paint for 20 years and will be painting the whole car. I was going to use an HVLP gun to paint the car but some say that it won't spray the metallic right? Looks like yours sprayed out well. I've always used siphon spray guns. I have a Binks 2000 gun with an agitator in the cup and thought that might work better but I hate not to use the HVLP guns! Oh well, I'll figure it out. I am saving your posts for further review. I need to get over my "paralysis by analysis" problem! LOL
Yes definitely get over the analysis paralysis conundrum..lol..I used a harbor freight Spectrum HTE spray gun, runs about 130.00 with tax. It sprayed out beautifully. I am a newbie to my own painting but having fun doing it.Just welding in and painting the two front fender lower patches gave me the confidence to tackle that rear wheel well. I had to weld in the outer wheel house and then the whole wheel lip probably 4-5 inches up. I watched a guy named Fitzee on youtube for fitment and welding tips..So I used his mindset of only replacing the metal needed. Of course I still had to buy the whole outer wheel house and a repop rear quarter. So yes I only used partail of each. If I had to do it again of course there are things I would now do a little differently..the rear quarter was a lot of work but turned out pretty good. Damn lacquer paint from TCP global is expensive since thats the only place you can get it but you are way ahead of that since you have all the paint.. glad you’re enjoying the post..
Old March 11th, 2023, 07:25 AM

Old March 11th, 2023, 10:30 AM

Very very nice work Andy, just curious the last time I sprayed a metallic lacquer my friend who owned a body shop told me to add some clear into the final color coats 25% then 50% he said it helped even out all the metallics etc and he also told me to ground the car to earth ? I used jumper cables and a length of chain? Not sure it did anything lol , but that might help lightening your color up some might try it on a test panel, I was also curious to see gray primer?( where you scuffed into the paint) I have always thought the factory used red oxide back in the day? I also wonder if that has any effect on color? Anyway great job
Old March 11th, 2023, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
Very very nice work Andy, just curious the last time I sprayed a metallic lacquer my friend who owned a body shop told me to add some clear into the final color coats 25% then 50% he said it helped even out all the metallics etc and he also told me to ground the car to earth ? I used jumper cables and a length of chain? Not sure it did anything lol , but that might help lightening your color up some might try it on a test panel, I was also curious to see gray primer?( where you scuffed into the paint) I have always thought the factory used red oxide back in the day? I also wonder if that has any effect on color? Anyway great job
Up by the top where I was trying to blend I did a 50/50 color clear mix..definitely helped..the tech at TCP gave me that tip.
Old March 12th, 2023, 01:21 PM

Cool beans

Nice as I said great job was just passing on what I was told , hoping it might help glad the tip was confirmed by another source :-)