Is my wheel upside down?

Search this Thread

Old December 10th, 2023, 09:41 AM

Is my wheel upside down?

I just started diagnosing a turn cancel that doesn’t cancel. When I took cap off wheel the shaft index was pointing down..6 o’clock. So I’m guessing the connection at rag joint needs to rotate 180 degrees.

which is a bummer because those joints are a pain to disconnect.

Pitman, wheels, etc are all good…pointing straight.

anyway here is a pic of steering wheel with wheels straight. Not gonna lie I like the longer section of grip up and short section down but I think it’s upside down?

Old December 10th, 2023, 02:42 PM
Old(s) Fart

Are you sure the steering box is centered when the wheels are straight ahead? The only way to be sure is to count the turns from lock-to-lock and come back exactly half way. If so, then yeah your steering shaft is not clocked correctly. The rag joint is SUPPOSED to only go on one way since the bolts are different sizes, but many aftermarket joints don't have this provision.
Old December 10th, 2023, 03:01 PM
Running On Empty

IMO, the orientation of the steering wheel, as mounted and depicted in your image, is the correct orientation. Recall from driver's education - the two terms 10 o'clock & 2 o'clock are the positions your hands are supposed to be in when driving an automobile. Especially while turning, as it's one hand over the other to/from 10 o'clock>2 o'clock. That suggests the best grip on the steering wheel to accommodate your hands is with the most grooves in the steering wheel on 10 & 2 positions.
Old December 10th, 2023, 03:11 PM
Old(s) Fart

That may be true, but the scribe mark on the shaft points to 12:00 when the wheels are straight ahead. If not, the clocking of the cancel cam will be incorrect.

Old December 10th, 2023, 03:13 PM
Running On Empty

I agree that is true, as well.
Old December 10th, 2023, 05:03 PM

It was roughly two turn left and two turns right with index mark pointing down, that’s how I realized it was 180 off.

i did the rotate 180 at rag joint fix this afternoon, now it’s 2 turns left, 2 turns right with index mark pointing straight up. So I think all is correct now, left turn now cancels, right turn doesn’t but I think that is the broken cancel cam I was originally diagnosing. I’ll check that tomorrow. At least I got one direction to cancel, before I had none.

of course by rotating 180 the longer grip length I enjoyed up high is now down low. No big deal it will just take time to get use to. All the pictures on the web show long section of grip down low.
Old December 10th, 2023, 05:04 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by mb13
It was roughly two turn left and two turns right with index mark pointing down, that’s how I realized it was 180 off.

i did the rotate 180 at rag joint fix this afternoon, now it’s 2 turns left, 2 turns right with index mark pointing straight up. So I think all is correct now, left turn now cancels, right turn doesn’t but I think that is the broken cancel cam I was originally diagnosing. I’ll check that tomorrow. At least I got one direction to cancel, before I had none.

of course by rotating 180 the longer grip length I enjoyed up high is now down low. No big deal it will just take time to get use to. All the pictures on the web show long section of grip down low.
Good deal.
Old December 10th, 2023, 05:06 PM

FWIW, each image search of '67 Oldsmobile Cutlass interiors shows the longer portion of the grips on the "down side" so if they are accurate, your wheel is upside down.
Old December 10th, 2023, 05:07 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
FWIW, each image search of '67 Oldsmobile Cutlass interiors shows the longer portion of the grips on the "down side" so if they are accurate, your wheel is upside down.
One might have thought a search would have been performed prior to asking the question? Novel idea, I guess. Just happy it's correct.
Old December 10th, 2023, 05:16 PM

Yes, I did do a search, that’s how I realized it might be 180 off, just thought I’d ask to be 100% sure because the fix really sucks if I did wrong. Plus, I just started diagnosing the cancel today….so never thought to look if it was 180 until today and learned about the index mark.
Sorry for wasting your time.

Norm, i like your 10 and 2 that they taught us but I broke the rules and usually drive with my elbow on door and just one hand at 10 o’clock, I guess that’s why I liked high grip so much. RIP high grip.
Old December 10th, 2023, 05:20 PM
Running On Empty

Yes, I did do a search, that’s how I realized it might be 180 off, just thought I’d ask to be 100% sure because the fix really sucks if I did wrong. Plus, I just started diagnosing the cancel today….so never thought to look if it was 180 until today and learned about the index mark.
Sorry for wasting your time.

Norm, i like your 10 and 2 that they taught us but I broke the rules and usually drive with my elbow on door and just one hand at 10 o’clock, I guess that’s why I liked high grip so much. RIP high grip.
No worries. I'd prefer the more steering wheel edges on the top as opposed to the bottom, as well as I like the high grip.
Old December 10th, 2023, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
That may be true, but the scribe mark on the shaft points to 12:00 when the wheels are straight ahead. If not, the clocking of the cancel cam will be incorrect.

Joe, is that what I’m going to see when I remove my steering wheel on my 66.
other than mine might have a broken ear on cam?
Old December 11th, 2023, 06:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

Joe, is that what I’m going to see when I remove my steering wheel on my 66.
other than mine might have a broken ear on cam?
This photo is not an Olds, but yes yours will be similar. The cancel cam is removed in this photo. It's nearly impossible for the ears to be broken, but those two springs do frequently break. New ones are readily available from Dorman.
Old December 11th, 2023, 07:01 AM

Thanks Joe, I’m fixin’ to head to garage to pull wheel and check that area.
That was my original mission yesterday before I got sidetracked by steering shaft being 180 off.
I’m glad I got the shaft fixed….i would have fought the cancel diagnosis if I hadn’t done that shaft fix first.

Old December 11th, 2023, 02:12 PM

Welp, as I expected one of the
plastic ears was broken off and the piece was sitting there in the housing.
Time to order more parts.