1964 Olds cutlass 330 4v automatic

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2024, 08:46 AM

1964 Olds cutlass 330 4v automatic

Hey Guys besides Happy New Year to ALL the '64 is a original it's been restored/repainted 3 decades ago and everything is still excellent BUT the car has finally developed some leaks.
OIl pan gasket front & rear deals need replacing and upon micro inspection the harmonic balancer is shot (don't understand engine is as smooth as silk but things happen) so here is where I need advise - direction & expert opinion
THE TIMING CASE COVER/FRONT CRANK SEAL IS LEAKING - now if I remember this back in the day many of these Olds getting that seal out can be difficult if not impossible even with some leverage spike tools they made for that & you always run risk of bending/distorting the cover. Sooo! Do I remove the cover and if I do that should I continue and change the timing chain & gears remember this car is 60 years old (understand this car has NEVER given me a second of trouble) it's just the leaks are getting worse so I want to address that OH!! I'M NOT pulling the engine there is more than enough room to jack it up and lower the pan or remove it and put gaskets & seals on.
What I need help is how far do I go? What makes the most sense if the seal pops out of there easy NO PROBLEM but in case I don't know?
So I need your best advise & direction I'm sure you guys have had to make this decision before so I'm asking YOU who have first hand experience it's a question of how far do I go? And any advise changing seals & gaskets is basic but when Trouble tests it's head where do you go.
Again working on this car has always been a joy compared to others with Big Block engines there is always room to work even though I've never really had to repair something on the car it still has everything original -- carb - starter - alternator - all the wiring etc etc etc. hell even the windshield wiper washers still work perfect.
So thank you for advise - directions - facts - tips etc
alsmith787
Old January 10th, 2024, 09:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

While it is POSSIBLE to R&R the oil pan with the engine in the car, by the time you disconnect everything and raise the engine high enough, you're really only six bellhousing bolts away from just pulling the motor. Couple this to the fact that doing it in the car means you are lying under it with oil dripping in your face. Just pull the engine, pull the pan, pull the balancer and front cover, and then stand by for the MIGHTASWELLS.
You MIGHTASWELL replace the timing set at this point...
You MIGHTASWELL check bearing clearances...
You MIGHTASWELL bolt on a new oil pump...
You MIGHTASWELL swap out the rope rear main seal for a Viton one...
You MIGHTASWELL detail and paint the engine compartment when the engine is out...

You can see how this quickly turns into a body-off restoration.
Old January 10th, 2024, 12:13 PM

The MAW's...
I would first do a compression test to know what to do if pulling the engine. At a minimum pull the oil pan, the front cover, replace the timing set and repair the original balancer. Valve seals probably also need replacement.

Forgot...X2 on pulling the engine to do any of this, that is an easy engine to R & R

Last edited by Sugar Bear; January 10th, 2024 at 12:59 PM.
Old January 10th, 2024, 12:19 PM
Old(s) Fart

Old January 10th, 2024, 12:59 PM

The above says it all...