1st Timer: Meet grandpa's "65 Olds Delta 88

Search this Thread

Old January 28th, 2023, 06:26 PM

Such a beautiful car, it is nice to see that this car will have a wonderful future. Enjoy!
Old January 29th, 2023, 08:40 PM

Rochester 2 Jet - Rebuilt!

I rebuilt the Rochester 2 Jet on my 1965 Delta 88 Holiday Coupe. I lightly cleaned all parts in mild degreaser (see above) and then fully disassembled and cleaned all internals. Used the Mike's Carburetors kit and instructions. Looks fairly untouched still, but is all good to go inside.
One step closer to startup (many to go).

Here are some pics if anyone needs a reference with all OE connections.

lower

upper

front

right side

rear

left side

Last edited by Oldster65; January 29th, 2023 at 08:42 PM.
Old January 30th, 2023, 08:32 PM

Good job! Nice to hear that someone actual is taking car of a car that was in the family.

Too many just say not interested or they are just to stupid to learn how to fix things

I encourage you to also join the Oldsmobile CLub of America to meet more contacts who can help you as well as comradery.

I can't tell you how many times Olds club members have giving me a deal one they found out I really needed the part and wasn't to just going to resell it on Ebay.

Fred
Old January 31st, 2023, 09:01 AM

DAV tag - mini "Identotag" license plate

The reason I have this car is because my dear MIL passed a year ago. She left the car to me. Cleaning out the house was difficult emotionally and physically. She had a lot of stuff, including a LOT of keys. It took a while, but when I found this set, the mini license plate was both an added bonus and a clear "I FOUND THEM!" moment.

In the day, these were sent to people from the Disabled American Veterans org, with an ask for a $.25 donation. Such incredible American history. Here's a bit of info: http://www.davnews.com/55.html

mini me

Old March 6th, 2023, 09:18 AM

Update: I finished with the front brakes this morning, so everything on the punch list is ticked off (plus a few unforeseen tasks). Al new fluids are going in. Bleeding the fully empty brake system will be *fun*. I have a vacuum bleeder that works okay, though.

I'll likely fire the old boy up sometime this week (with video)! If all works out, I'm aiming for a local Cars and Coffee this coming Saturday!

FYI - I posted all of the brake assemblies, etc. HERE in the Brakes and Hydraulics section of the forum for future reference.

Last edited by Oldster65; March 6th, 2023 at 12:19 PM.
Old March 14th, 2023, 05:09 PM

It runs!

The BIG START was a success! Because I was waiting 2 days for family members to come over to witness the first start in 30 years, I had ample time to be 99% sure everything was ready. My checklist was triple or quadruple checked...
  • Fresh oil and filter
  • Fresh coolant (and rebuilt radiator)
  • Fresh trans fluid
  • All new or verified good rubber hoses/lines
  • Plugs cleaned and gapped
  • Cylinders and intake misted with oil
  • Turned engine over and oil pressure verified (via dash light)
  • Ignition wires tested (I fixed the coil wire which was corroded at the coil connection)
  • Cleaned points, lubed distributor shaft & verified spark
  • Ensured carb bowl filled with fuel and accelerator pump operation
And it started up after about 5 revolutions! There was a big puff of blue smoke in the engine compartment and a very large cloud of brown dirt and dust from the tailpipe. There were also some strange rotational sounds - likely alternator and/or power steering pump, and a concerning knock - but they lasted only a few seconds. From there, the lifters quieted down the the old beast ran amazingly well. After warming up, I dialed the carb a bit and it literally runs like a clock - smooth and quiet. I don't have the fuel tank back from being repaired and it was running off a gas can, so no test drive, yet. But that was a good thing, because the fuel pump began to leak. Also, the throttle pedal linkage is really stiff and sticky - I suspect hardened grease - so i need to remove and clean/lubricate that before hitting the road.

But what a huge day! The family was thrilled and we're now extra eager for the maiden voyage. I haven't posted any video of the startup, but here's a pic 2 seconds after he came alive in that puff of smoke.

It's alive!

Old March 14th, 2023, 05:29 PM

Excellent!!!
Old March 14th, 2023, 06:11 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

What an uplifting story you presented here; it is inspiring in many ways. Congrats to you for your progress and success with the car while it has been in your possession.

Obviously with your degree of gumption the automobile will see the highway very soon. Happy Motoring and don't stop smiling!
Old March 17th, 2023, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by tnswt
What an uplifting story you presented here; it is inspiring in many ways. Congrats to you for your progress and success with the car while it has been in your possession.

Obviously with your degree of gumption the automobile will see the highway very soon. Happy Motoring and don't stop smiling!
Thank you @tnswt! And you don't know how much I appreciate the word "gumption" - we need to use that one more.
Old March 17th, 2023, 05:55 PM

When you want to get that clock running, there are 2 options:

1) Sand/Dremel the original points/contacts and snip a few coils off the winding spring then stretch the newly-retensioned winding spring to work the original clock works. This works fine, costs $0, but usually the clock runs a bit fast. It’ll work for a few months/years and it’s fun to hear the works click into running position.

2) Replace the original works with a quartz movement from one of the reproduction vendors. I’ve done one this way, look for my post on how to do it - there are a few tweaks the manufacturer doesn’t warn you about.

I have one car with each solution - I found an NOS clock somewhere along the way and the old 60’s winding “Click” is a fun memory come to life. But this mechanical method seems to draw down the battery faster than the modern, accurate, silent quartz movement.

Your choice, but rest assured you can get that old clock working one way or another.

Cheer
cf
Old May 10th, 2023, 05:17 PM

Catching up - This is what it's all about!

Finally drove this smooth, powerful, quiet kick-in-the-pants over a couple hundred miles back and forth 2 weekends ago. I've wondered about this day for 30+ years. What an amazing cruiser! I 100% understand the appeal of these vehicles in the day now. There's nothing quite like it. All systems work amazingly like new...with the exception of the NOS fuel sender...it's not sending.

Here are a few shots "on display" at he Dream Machines show in Half Moon Bay, CA.

At the hotel

Hood open

typical display stance
Old May 10th, 2023, 06:29 PM
Bfg

I love that car, the color is just right!
Old May 10th, 2023, 08:05 PM

Late to the party here, but be aware that at the cost of originality a 4 barrel intake and quadrajet will really wake up that 425. You’ll love it even more.

Go factory or get an Edelbrock Performer, bolt it on and go. Not antithetical to the point of these cars, just makes ‘em better.

From Not-A-HotRod guy with 2 ‘66 big Olds.

Cheers
cf
Old May 12th, 2023, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by cfair
a 4 barrel intake and quadrajet will really wake up that 425. You’ll love it even more.

Go factory
cf
I definitely have considered this. But I'm "done" for now.
Old May 19th, 2023, 11:34 PM

Just reread the full thread. Congratulations on the resurrection.

Have had 1 66 big olds since the early 80’s. It was so much fun, I got another in the late 90’s. In NorCal.

Threading the needle between originality and safety, I recommend checking/replacing all wheel brake cylinders as a precaution. 4 wheel drums worked great in 1965, when everybody had drums, but in 2023 most everybody has disks & can stop faster than you. Times have changed, so leave lots of room between you & the person ahead of you. Obligatory grumpy old guy gripe: “And look out for all those people who are texting & driving”.

Even more important than the wheel cylinders is a dual circuit master cylinder. Your 1965 single circuit master will leave you with no brakes if you blow as hose as I did in the 80’s. I recommend a dual circuit master cylinder from 1967 or so ( dual circuit drum master ) so that if you blow a hose you’ll have 1/2 your brakes.

I hope you have a set of tools in the trunk, as well as jumper cables and other emergency supplies. I’ve been carrying them for decades. Not usually necessary, but here & there you’re beyond thankful you have a set of wire cutters, or a fuel pump, or jumpers…

Also be aware / conscious that the guys who grew up with these cars and know how to service them with their eyes closed are aging out. If you really want to keep it for a long time, get your rebuild / preventative maintenance in before they’re not around. Sad but true.

Great going on Gramp’s car. Enjoy enjoy.

cf

PS: Get a spare heater core or 2 while you still can. They won’t make ‘em for much longer…

Old May 19th, 2023, 11:41 PM
GCH

I,m also love this car and body . Have heard that the speedometer cable to the left front wheel is impossible to find to.
Old May 19th, 2023, 11:54 PM

You can get a generic kit to make the cable. The part that is really hard to find is the dust cap with the nylon square piece that drives the cable.

50+ years later you will have to find it in a junkyard, but probably not in Goteborg. Or Lillehammer. Probably Arizona or California

Hilsen
Christian
Old May 25th, 2023, 08:33 PM
GCH

You can get a generic kit to make the cable. The part that is really hard to find is the dust cap with the nylon square piece that drives the cable.

50+ years later you will have to find it in a junkyard, but probably not in Goteborg. Or Lillehammer. Probably Arizona or California

Hilsen
Christian
Thanks for info about this Christian. Are you from Norway ?
Old May 25th, 2023, 08:48 PM

Nei, men jeg har vaer dar mange ganger, kansje 25 ganger.

Many relatives in greater Haugesund, between Bergen & Stavanger. Some in Oslo too. Beautiful and cool country.

But I’m an American from Northern California.
cf
Old May 25th, 2023, 09:10 PM
GCH

Nei, men jeg har vaer dar mange ganger, kansje 25 ganger.

Many relatives in greater Haugesund, between Bergen & Stavanger. Some in Oslo too. Beautiful and cool country.

But I’m an American from Northern California.
cf
Ok , have some relatives in Minnesota , but have lost the contact. But have some old letters to read.
We are living close to the border so we are visiting Norway often , great motorcycle roads.
Old May 25th, 2023, 09:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bfg
I love that car, the color is just right!
Amen. What a cool cool car. Color really suits it. Staying in your family is awesome. Great starting point. You can tinker with it little by little. Great thread. Great love you are giving it!! Oldsmobile On Brother!! 👍

I absolutely love this too. What a cool cool thing to still have. We had the same thing here in Colorado.

I still have my black California plates off my 64 Grand Prix. VQW = Humboldt County