Installation of aftermarket Headunit for entertainment/nav/phone

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2024, 07:10 AM
69 Delta Custom Holiday

Installation of aftermarket Headunit for entertainment/nav/phone

Hi all,

I plan to install an aftermarket headunit into my 69 Delta Custom.
As I want to keep everything stock and original, my plan is to install all stuff (Headunit, 2 6x9 speakers, 1 12" woofer and an amplifier) in a "portable" box that will be put in front of the front bench seat between transmission tunnel and dash - as far as there is enough space for all and it doesn´t get too heavy... . In this case I would ony have to route a (fused) power line from the battery and an acc sigal (as control line to switch on/of radio and amp) to that box.

In my car I still have the stock generator. Can anybody tell me the maximum AMPs what that generator can provide?
I plan to use a 3-channel amp with 2x50W and 1x140W that can draw up to 50A peak but will probably normally run at maximum 50% of that power (I still want to hear the engine and exhaust ).
As I am not sure what would be the average permanent amperage, is there any idea what amperage should not be exceeded to avoid a too high consumption and risk of dmage or a drained battery while driving and listen to music.

The other question is regarding the ACC signal - what would be the best point to grab that signal from (should be easy accessible without disamssembling half of the car)?
It would be helpful if someone could snd me a picture showing what wire in that area is only powerd with ign acc or ign on and could be easily used to connect this line additionally to the acc input of the headunit as control line.

Thanks in advance for your support, your hints/tipps and your thoughts!

Best regards and greetings from (cold and snowy) Germany,
Michael
Old January 15th, 2024, 10:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

Your car came from the factory with a 10DN alternator, not a generator (despite the GEN idiot light on the dash...). This is the common externally-regulated unit. It was 37 amps on non-A/C cars and 55 amps with A/C. There should be an ACC tap right on the fuse box.

Old January 15th, 2024, 12:30 PM
69 Delta Custom Holiday

Hey Joe,

thanks a lot for your answers to my questions.
My Delta88 is a non-A/C car so I should have the 37 amps alternator installed.

Is it possible and does it basically makes sense to replace the 37 amps version with the 55 amps alternator as I also have installed an additional electric radiator fan that can also draw 10~15 amps when it´s active.

I guess the replacement would be just a plug and play replacement (or do I have to consider additional things?) and this one from RockAuto would fit - am I right?

Michael