General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Engine cranks, no start

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2011, 06:12 AM

Engine cranks, no start

Playing around with my '71 Supreme - she ran beautifully Friday, since then I've checked her oil and filled another 10 liters of gas on her. Now she won't start. Cranks just fine. Suggestions? I looked at the carb, and see no fuel getting sprayed in when I yank the accel. cable. The see-through bell-thingy on my fuel line isn't filling up either. Tried to pull the inlet hose off the fuel pump, awarded me a wet hand - I assume that means the pump works, given that there's gas at that point of the fuel line.

If I crank the engine enough and stomp the accel. non-stop, I can get it to take a few turns before it dies - but it always dies. This makes me think I don't have a spark problem, at least.
Old November 27th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I'd go for bad fuel pump or fuel filter, though a stuck float needle or piece of crud stuck in the needle seat is also possible.

Disconnect the fuel line from the carburetor and see if it sprays fuel when you crank it (you can connect it to a rubber hose and into a tin can to be safe). While you're doing that, remove the factory filter and check to be sure it's not clogged.

- Eric
Old November 27th, 2011, 09:19 AM

I looked into the carb and had a chick stomp the accelerator, which produced one(!) spray in the driver's side of the primary... ventury? You know which part I mean. If there's supposed to be two squirts, then that's the problem. If not, then I can rule out a clogged line. I'll check the fuel pump next weekend. :P
Old November 27th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

There are supposed to be two streams, one on each side, so that's definitely not right.

I'd check the pump and the filter, and then remove the top of the carburetor (I assume it's a QuadraJet) and look to see how much fuel is in the float bowl. You can also see whether the fuel pump is filling the float bowl and what the float level is, because the float, needle, and seat will all work with the top off.

You may need to disassemble and clean the carb to get rid of crud in the accel. pump passages (and probably other places as well).

- Eric
Old November 27th, 2011, 10:50 AM

Yes, it's a Q-jet. Have a Carter AFB lying around, but it's dirty and missing parts. Since I was only getting one stream, I now have a problem identified - excellent. Good to know.

This seems like a good time to learn to work on carbs, actually. A matter of necessity, even. :P
Old November 27th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Seff
... I now have a problem identified - excellent.
Well, you have A problem identified, but there is always a chance (in accordance with Murphy's Law) that it's not THE problem .

- Eric
Old November 27th, 2011, 01:57 PM

The problem is that it's not already on the road. :P