'63 394 starter motor

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2023, 11:09 AM

'63 394 starter motor

I'm having a tough time finding a starter motor for my 98 custom sport. Anyone know of any in stock anywhere?
Old July 6th, 2023, 11:39 AM
Running On Empty

Don't forget to place an ad in the Parts Wanted forum >>>>https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/parts-wanted-13/
Old July 6th, 2023, 11:58 AM
Old(s) Fart

Given that these are sixty year old cars with few on the road, most vendors won't waste the warehouse shelf space. Do you really need a starter as opposed to just replacing the drive, solenoid, and brushes in yours? Those parts are readily available at RockAuto.
Old July 6th, 2023, 12:40 PM

Not sure what I need yet. I'm preparing for a triage. Just getting everything laid out.
Old July 6th, 2023, 12:43 PM
Old(s) Fart

So what problem are you trying to solve?
Old July 6th, 2023, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
So what problem are you trying to solve?
Drove it home from work for lunch, parked it. Got back in it after lunch, hit the key and "clunk". Engine tried to turn over for a second and then dead stop. Hit the key a couple more times and it wanted to turn over, but just didn't have the torque to do so. Gave the key a couple more turns and it finally started to turn over, though slow. It was making a little bit of a noise. Not quite a grinding, not quite a rattle. Tried it a couple more times, but by the time it started to turn over fast enough to start it up I could smell gas because it was so flooded out. I didn't have time to mess with it then, just had to hop in another vehicle and get back to work.
Old July 6th, 2023, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ludothegreat
Drove it home from work for lunch, parked it. Got back in it after lunch, hit the key and "clunk". Engine tried to turn over for a second and then dead stop. Hit the key a couple more times and it wanted to turn over, but just didn't have the torque to do so. Gave the key a couple more turns and it finally started to turn over, though slow. It was making a little bit of a noise. Not quite a grinding, not quite a rattle. Tried it a couple more times, but by the time it started to turn over fast enough to start it up I could smell gas because it was so flooded out. I didn't have time to mess with it then, just had to hop in another vehicle and get back to work.
This almost sounds like a low battery.
Old July 6th, 2023, 03:23 PM

Once I get back to it I'll be checking the battery, though in person it did not act or sound like a dead battery. Once it got spinning it was spinning at full speed. Before then it was like something was holding it back from rotating.
Old July 6th, 2023, 03:47 PM
Running On Empty

(1) Measure voltage at the battery - should be >12.6V
(2) If you get it running (e.g. jump start, charged, etc.) measure voltage at the battery with car running - should be >13.9V - nominally 14.3V. This will demonstrate if the alternator is able to charge the battery
(3) Clean your negative ground cable at the negative battery terminal post and the negative ground cable at the engine block
(4) Clean your positive cable at the battery terminal post, the starter post, the starter solenoid post, and the horn relay distribution block.
Old July 7th, 2023, 04:55 AM

You used to be able to find them a few years ago at about $75

Delco Remy #25233 other part #s 1107665, 1107683, 1107716, 1107776, 1109578, I found one on eBay 1107776 but price is high. Get yours rebuilt should be easy to do.

This fits all Olds 394 V8 from 1959-1964
Old July 7th, 2023, 06:01 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by gkhashem
You used to be able to find them a few years ago at about $75
Unfortunately a lot of things you used to be able to find a few years ago are no longer available. Vendors don't want to tie up cash keeping inventory on the shelf that is not in demand and thus won't turn over quickly. These are 60 year old cars. Few remain on the road and even fewer need a new starter at any given time.
Old July 7th, 2023, 06:53 AM
Running On Empty

I've rebuilt a couple starters over the past 50 years. Rebuilding your starter can be an option. Don't expect it to be a one or two hour job. It most likely will take you several days to a week because it's a meticulous job; but, it can be done. The bearings are going to be packed with metal shavings, metal shavings everywhere, plunger spring gunked up, electrical contacts corroded/oxidized, old hardened grease, etc. As Joe stated, you should be able to get bushings. A thorough internal cleaning will produce amazing results if you elect to give it a go. The hardest part about rebuilding a starter is generally stabbing the armature back into the casing while holding open the brushes to accommodate the armature. It isn't an easy peasy job, as said it's meticulous, it can be done - you need patience and attention to some detail in putting the parts back into the same order you removed them.
Old July 7th, 2023, 07:11 AM

https://www.fusickautomotiveproducts...er=STA-1107665

Fusick has this one in stock according to listing. I think it should function OK for your year, but might not have correct for 1963 numbering if it has any #'s at all.

Old July 7th, 2023, 08:17 AM
Oldsdruid

If you're lucky enough to have a rebuilder close by, turn them loose on it. You may be able to keep the car's original starter going that route and my experience is they'll take a few more pains doing it than a high volume rebuilder.

Stellar on here is a top notch automotive electric man. He's in Pittsburgh PA area.
Old July 7th, 2023, 09:03 AM

It has been a couple of years but last time I had one rebuilt it was under $100. So find a good rebuilder in your area.
Old July 8th, 2023, 07:50 PM

That's what I say you should have your starter rebuilt the only way to go I had mine done on my $57 a few years ago works perfectly
Old July 9th, 2023, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by coldwar
https://www.fusickautomotiveproducts...er=STA-1107665

Fusick has this one in stock according to listing. I think it should function OK for your year, but might not have correct for 1963 numbering if it has any #'s at all.

That one might be only for a 371 V8 so make sure before you get that one.