72 Olds Cutlass Supreme-Tranny Pan

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2010, 08:33 AM

72 Olds Cutlass Supreme-Tranny Pan

Hey Everyone, hope all of you and your olds are doing fabulous. Well My tranny pan is leaking on my olds and I am new to doing these things on my own, so I guess I am just making sure its done right. When I look under the car, (jacked up) Everything looks like it could be original, I should probably take some pictures, the gunk that is caked on is just horrible. Can anyone give me any tips about replacing the gasket and what kind of Tranny fluid to use. I know that I have to clean the surface thouroughly and make sure the the bolts are not so tight. Any help would be lovely...

Thanks-Jackie
Old July 8th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Registered

Sounds like you have it under control, clean and no gorilla tightening is always good.
You usually drop the pan to replace the trans filter, the parts store usually sells the filter and pan gasket together.
You need something big and wide to catch all the fluid when you drop the pan.
The book says only use Dexron or equivalent automatic trans fluid.
Old July 8th, 2010, 01:22 PM

Make sure you don't use any RTV or sealant on the gasket. It isn't needed for a transmission pan. Plus, you don't want any of it to come loose in the transmission and destroy the valve body.

Also, it would be a good idea to add a drain plug to your transmission while the pan is off. In addtion, you might consider adding a shift kit if you like putting performance goodies on your car.
Old July 8th, 2010, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Make sure you don't use any RTV or sealant on the gasket. It isn't needed for a transmission pan. Plus, you don't want any of it to come loose in the transmission and destroy the valve body.

Also, it would be a good idea to add a drain plug to your transmission while the pan is off. In addtion, you might consider adding a shift kit if you like putting performance goodies on your car.

I would love to add a shift kit!! That would be awesome.. Unfortunately I would need to work my way up to that as I am a newbie to this!! Thanks!
Old July 8th, 2010, 04:11 PM

Try to get a rubber gasket instead of cork. Rubber is much more forgiving, and can be reused if you put it back together then realize you forgot to put the filter in
Old July 9th, 2010, 05:28 AM

A shift kit isn't that hard to install. They are reasonably priced as well.
Old July 9th, 2010, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by clean82cutlass
Try to get a rubber gasket instead of cork. Rubber is much more forgiving, and can be reused if you put it back together then realize you forgot to put the filter in
Amen to this - I love rubber gaskets! Better seal, longer life, and reusable!

Originally Posted by Bluevista
You need something big and wide to catch all the fluid when you drop the pan.
An old bathtub comes to mind...
If you use anything smaller, have a bucket of cat litter and a roll of paper towels handy, perhaps even a change of clothes...
Trying to recover the fluid is the hardest part. It may be easier to remove bolts from all but one side, but do loosen the final bolts that are still in. this way you can pivot the pan down some to spill out some fluid. Of course the fun starts when those final bolts are removed - the fluid filled pan will be heavy and slippery and will go where it wants to.
Not trying to scare ya, but if you know what to expect, the job goes a little smoother.

Originally Posted by Bluevista
The book says only use Dexron or equivalent automatic trans fluid.
Yep - still available.

Degreaser, wire brush, and a water hose will remove any fluid spills from the driveway - just clean it up right after the job before it sets a stain.
It is best if you can put an old tarp under the car - those clean easier than concrete.

Lemme know how it goes - I need to do mine pretty soon!
Old July 9th, 2010, 05:56 AM

I've heard that the Type F transmission fluid used in Fords is essnetially the same thing as the B&M Trick Shift fluid. I know my friends in college would run Type F in their 200 4Rs (in a Monte Carlo SS, and Camaro) after rebuilding the transmission. I don't know what would happen if you mixed Dexron and Type F.