General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Looking for a Mechanic in the Philadelphia Area

Search this Thread

Old April 23rd, 2024, 05:28 PM

Looking for a Mechanic in the Philadelphia Area

I'm looking for a well experienced mechanic to do general repairs on a '71 Oldsmobile Cutlass. The mechanic must be familiar with troubleshooting wipers, installing new door and ignition locks, R12 Air Conditioning and certain other electrical issues. I do not have the time, facilities or tools.

I hope there is someone in our community who has the skills to help. In exchange, the mechanic will earn additional income. Thank you.

Last edited by twilightblue28A; April 23rd, 2024 at 05:48 PM.
Old April 24th, 2024, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by twilightblue28A
I'm looking for a well experienced mechanic to do general repairs on a '71 Oldsmobile Cutlass. The mechanic must be familiar with troubleshooting wipers, installing new door and ignition locks, R12 Air Conditioning and certain other electrical issues. I do not have the time, facilities or tools.

I hope there is someone in our community who has the skills to help. In exchange, the mechanic will earn additional income. Thank you.
I can help, but it will be a few months before I get my junk back together and have garage space. I'm about 2hrs SW in central MD
Old April 25th, 2024, 12:26 AM

Hi. I know two mechanics in the area that work on a lot of older vehicles, muscle cars mostly. Generally where are you located? I may also be able to help, it just depends where you are located. Philly, Delco, Bucks, Chester? South Jersey?

Steve
Old April 25th, 2024, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by gmsteve455
Hi. I know two mechanics in the area that work on a lot of older vehicles, muscle cars mostly. Generally where are you located? I may also be able to help, it just depends where you are located. Philly, Delco, Bucks, Chester? South Jersey?

Steve
Hi Steve,
Thanks for responding. I live in the Society Hill section of Philly. I'm ten minutes from the bridges to New Jersey, 95 North or South, and 476. Just to be clear, the car runs and drives perfectly. I have an existing R12 AC system that doesn't blow cold, wipers do not operate, and the key that operates my ignition will not lock or unlock the door locks. There are additional similar issues but those mentioned are priorities. Again, I can drive the car, and thanks again for your response.
Harry

Last edited by twilightblue28A; April 25th, 2024 at 04:12 AM.
Old April 25th, 2024, 04:20 AM

Thornton in Quakertown does quality work.https://www.thorntonmusclecars.com/

Scott
Old April 25th, 2024, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Blue442
Thornton in Quakertown does quality work.https://www.thorntonmusclecars.com/

Scott
Hi Scott,

​​​​​​I agree. They know Oldsmobiles and do beautiful work. I spoke with Thornton. They are well behind on their major, promised projects, and as a result, they won't take smaller jobs until they get their projects completed (approximately 1 1/2 years). Includes purchase, installation and painting of W25 hoods!

Last edited by twilightblue28A; April 25th, 2024 at 04:38 AM.
Old April 25th, 2024, 06:08 AM

Hey, i live in Runnemede NJ. Fanelle's Auto repair can totally help you. Its 100 West Crescent Blvd Collingswood NJ. Good guys over there. The owner John (my friend) is an older guy who worked on these when new, so he knows his stuff. They are pretty fast too. If your looking for a classic car "pro" id go with Schaeffer and long auto restorers. 210 Davis Rd. Magnolia NJ. I worked as a tow truck driver for Mr. Fanelle so i know him personally and can vouch for him, and his work. Schaeffer and long i have not dealt with, though i hear great things about their work. Hopefully this is helpful!
Old April 25th, 2024, 09:00 AM

Probably no shortage of Mechanics who are capable of this type of work in the Philly area. I can suggest Andy's Autotech in Toughkenamon who is a friend, does nice work and is a straight shooter. 1550 Baltimore Pike Toughkenamon, PA. He usually has a few customer's muscle cars in his lot at any given time. I believe he usually schedules about 2 weeks out.

If you wanted me to take a look at it, I'm good with wiring and troubleshooting and have replaced ignition keys in the past on these cars. I've owned a bunch of Oldsmobiles over the years and currently have a 72 Cutlass. You can PM me if you like.

The mechanics mentioned in New Jersey sound closer to you. Whatever you decide, good luck with your car.

Steve
Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM

There are two OCA Chapters in PA. and one in Jersey, perhaps contact them for some referrals.
Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM

Curious to know if you found anyone to do the work. If so, I hope they are providing you with good service.

Steve
Old Today, 12:32 PM

Yes, and I appreciate your help. The wipers have been repaired and new washer pump has been installed. The door locks have been replaced and keyed alike so that a single key starts the car and locks/unlocks the driver's and passenger doors. Next on my list is repairing (hopefully) the original R12 AC system. Currently, AC is not blowing cold. I will need R12. If anyone has any for sale, kindly reply or send a private message. I have also contacted Vintage Air to locate an installing company in the area. Vintage referred me to a shop in Forked River, NJ. I'm deliberating whether or not to replace the original R12 AC system with Vintage's Gen IV.
Thanks for your follow up and interest.

Last edited by twilightblue28A; Today at 12:35 PM.
Old Today, 01:26 PM

Yes, and I appreciate your help. The wipers have been repaired and new washer pump has been installed. The door locks have been replaced and keyed alike so that a single key starts the car and locks/unlocks the driver's and passenger doors. Next on my list is repairing (hopefully) the original R12 AC system. Currently, AC is not blowing cold. I will need R12. If anyone has any for sale, kindly reply or send a private message. I have also contacted Vintage Air to locate an installing company in the area. Vintage referred me to a shop in Forked River, NJ. I'm deliberating whether or not to replace the original R12 AC system with Vintage's Gen IV.
Thanks for your follow up and interest.
That's great, I'm happy to hear that these things are getting taken care of.

I don't personally have experience with this but a friend of mine uses the refrigerant found in air dusters (for keyboards and computer stuff) in his R12 systems. I believe it's R152a and there is a lot of information about this on other forums and YouTube. I agree that it would be better to keep the existing R12 system if you can. See if you can find a good mechanic who services AC systems to help you with this. They can help find leaks, verify that the compressor is good and the system is clear.

Years ago I converted my 91 Silverado to R134 and it blows nice and cold to this day but check with someone who knows more about it and see what is possible for your car.

Good luck, I'm glad you are getting some things sorted out.

Steve