64 442 now what

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2021, 07:47 AM

what is the code stamped on the axle housing? These cars came with 3.36 gears when the B09 option was checked; it was all part of a group package. It is possible that the original owner selected a different ratio, but most cars, with a few exceptions having 3.55, came with 3.36 gears. Please recheck your code.
Old March 4th, 2021, 04:10 PM

I just got the car back from the fabricator. He made a patch panel for the quarter, patched the outer wheel house, the trunk drop and replaced the brace above the fuel tank. I’m very happy with the work performed and time frame in which it was done. I also had the front inner fenders blasted and primed. Now i will finish cleaning the underside of the car for paint.

Old March 4th, 2021, 05:57 PM
Banned

Love your car. Love your decisions on what you are doing. Good for you. Olds on.
Old March 14th, 2021, 02:22 PM

I have been getting a little more work done. I had my inner fender wells sand blasted and primed, then i painted them semi gloss black and installed them. I got the front brake lines done and went through the wiring harness. I found a couple of wires that needed fixed but luckily there was another harness in the trunk with the wires i needed. I also got some 15x7 wheels cleaned up and painted so i can get some new tires installed. I have been debating what to do about a carb since the original needs a lot of work. In the trunk was also a performer intake, so i cleaned it up and painted it with high heat cast aluminum paint. I have a couple good rebuilt quadrajets in my stash so i will probably use one of those. I’m hoping to have the engine back in a week or so, i am debating if i should change the timing chain while its out of the car. More to come

Old March 17th, 2021, 09:09 AM

great progress. engine bay turned out very nice!
Old May 16th, 2021, 08:28 AM

Getting ready for new carpet. I am still amazed at how solid this car is. I will be putting down some kilmat to help with some heat and noise. I am not going to go to crazy with the stuff.

Old May 17th, 2021, 04:17 AM

Hello,

Mine came from Snowberger Oldsmobile white with red interior, and I do not recall your paint color mix.
Old May 18th, 2021, 06:16 PM

A couple of updates. Our small towns car show is June 19th, so my goal is to have it there. I’m hoping to have it running this weekend, then i will bolt the core support back in.

Old June 23rd, 2021, 06:18 PM

Since i did not make the car show due to not finding a front bumper. I decided to send my radiator to get cleaned and checked. I ended up having it recored, not sure if i could have sourced a new one cheaper. The place that did it is semi local small business so i figured it was money well spent.

Old June 24th, 2021, 05:57 AM

Nice work trying to keep things original as possible. After over 50 years wrenching and building in the Old "Olds" hobby nice to see you guys still taking on these projects. I'm winding things down and will retire next spring no more room or desire for another Olds project ( still have the 63 Starfire) .. I'll just sit back and watch you guys!
Old September 12th, 2021, 04:36 PM

I am finally get back to working on the 64. I had to do a fair amount of work on my rental property so that took a couple of months that i was planning on working on the car. I need to make a new fuel line from the pump to the carb, and find a lower radiator hose. I would still like to get this car driving before the snow hits.

Old September 12th, 2021, 05:43 PM

That's really nice...keep it up!
Old September 16th, 2021, 06:46 PM

Great pics!

Great car - restore it to a nice driver condition with the original running gear and enjoy it. Bullet proof! Great pics, really enjoying the resto!
Old February 12th, 2022, 04:30 PM

Since i put a 9 inch rear in my 72 i installed the 12 bolt with 3:73 gears and posi into the 64. I also installed the 2 1/2” exhaust from the 72 onto the 64 as well. Had some buddies stop over last night and we got the car running. I need to get a belt on it so we didn’t run it very long but it started right up on the 2nd revolution, crazy! I would like to run some Rislone or something through it to clean it up some. Hopefully spring will be here in a few weeks and i can take it on its first drive since 1978!

Old February 19th, 2022, 09:25 AM

Had a few buddies over last night and we got the brakes bleed, and the headlights working. I do need a new tail light socket and 3 new headlights. I think i am just going to order new bulbs for the entire car. I still need to find a front bumper, if i cant find one soon i will purchase a fiberglass one. Now i just need the salt off the road and the weather to cooperate so i can take her on a shake down run.
Old March 16th, 2022, 06:05 PM

I got the car off the lift and moved outside. I really like the stance the car has, i can not wait to drive this! I am having some issues with the shifter, it is only going in 1st and 2nd gear so i have to figure that out.

Old March 17th, 2022, 05:45 AM

Lovely automobile!
Old March 17th, 2022, 06:33 AM

Great job

Loved what you have done with your car so far, hope you get the shifter sorted. I noticed in one of the pictures that the shifter hump was “trimmed” a little which seems to be common when upgrading to a different hurst shifter etc , maybe I’m wrong, my 69 had a real butcher job around the shifter, when I went through the shifter everything was a bit wonky, it worked fine but didn’t sit right ergo the liberal use of a hacksaw lol I ended up going to the shifter doc showed him the numbers on the shifter, I had the wrong mounting plate and the wrong arms ( arms were too straight more for a super short throw racing app) anyway he hooked me up with all the right gear, I bought the replacement hump ( metal) from the parts place. All is good in the world.

is the shifter moving the tranny levers? And it’s not going into gear? Meaning a Tran you problem? Or is it not going to the 3-4 sequence meaning a shifter problem?
The shifter is fairly easy to rebuild ( the aftermarket one anyway)

I hope you get it sorted
Old March 17th, 2022, 06:59 PM

When i had the engine mocked up in it last spring everything worked fine. I’m sure i dont have something right with the shifter mounting or linkage. Does anyone have good pics of the shifter mounted to the trans and the linkage? I googled some images last night but didn’t see anything Olds specific.
Old March 17th, 2022, 08:22 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by oldsmoboogie
When i had the engine mocked up in it last spring everything worked fine. I’m sure i dont have something right with the shifter mounting or linkage. Does anyone have good pics of the shifter mounted to the trans and the linkage? I googled some images last night but didn’t see anything Olds specific.

not the best picture but only ones I had on my phone
Old March 18th, 2022, 07:42 AM

Beautiful "Post Car" like the moving progress...
Old March 19th, 2022, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by oldstata

not the best picture but only ones I had on my phone
Thank you.
Old March 20th, 2022, 04:26 PM

We had a nice day today so i got the car out of the shop and drove it around the property a bit. I got the shifter to go into reverse and 1st and second. I am planning on removing the shifter for disassembly and cleaning to help it move better. I also wouldn’t mind a longer shifter handle as i have to lean forward to get it into 3rd gear. I still cant believe how quick this car starts and how smooth it runs. I just have to button up a few odds and ends and we will be cruising!
Old March 20th, 2022, 04:42 PM
Justin

We had a nice day today so i got the car out of the shop and drove it around the property a bit. I got the shifter to go into reverse and 1st and second. I am planning on removing the shifter for disassembly and cleaning to help it move better. I also wouldn’t mind a longer shifter handle as i have to lean forward to get it into 3rd gear. I still cant believe how quick this car starts and how smooth it runs. I just have to button up a few odds and ends and we will be cruising!
glad you got it out and figured out the shifting problem was anything hooked up wrong or just need to be lubed and bushing replaced ?
Old March 21st, 2022, 06:07 PM

Everything was installed correctly, it just needs cleaned up and lubed. I do think i am missing something as I don’t see a place to hook up the arm for the reverse light switch.
Old March 21st, 2022, 06:29 PM
Justin

Old February 29th, 2024, 07:45 PM

Question for Keener...

Originally Posted by Keener
The muncie you show in the photos above is not for the 64 442. At least most of it is not. The main case number you have is 3885010 which is a 1 inch bore case found in 66-67. The 64 442 had a 7/8 inch bore with case number 3851325. The side cover should be number 3831707 which has the non-hat style pivot pin. Your sidecover is 3884685 which was found in 66-70. The tail housing is correct for 64. I say drive it and enjoy.

Could you provide me with the data plate info and the VIN? I’d like to cross reference with a list of known original 64 442s. Thanks. PM me if that’s easier.
Keener, how would I check a 64 442 to see if it is on that list? Could I just send you picture of the data plate or tell me where to look for registered 442's?
Old March 1st, 2024, 06:13 AM

Very Nice, love what you are doing with it and plans for cruising!!
Old March 1st, 2024, 10:04 AM
9 thats what I mean 11

Everything was installed correctly, it just needs cleaned up and lubed. I do think i am missing something as I don’t see a place to hook up the arm for the reverse light switch.
here is the detail from the assembly manual for 1965. it looks the same. there should be a hole on the tab for the reverse rod.

Reverse light switch from assembly manual 1965 cutlass
Old March 1st, 2024, 10:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by erick1964442
Keener, how would I check a 64 442 to see if it is on that list? Could I just send you picture of the data plate or tell me where to look for registered 442's?
This is the problem with resurrecting an old thread. People see it at the top of the list and only read the first few posts - not your question. I suggest you PM Keener directly.