1972 Cutlass Supreme

Search this Thread

Old December 28th, 2023, 02:42 PM

Nice day here in PA (50s) so I decided to work on the CS. Good and bad news....
Good - I tapped on the frame (what I could access) and it sounded solid. The right side was more difficult to access but in the middle there is about 6" between the frame and dirt floor. Again it sounded solid. A metallic "clunk" everywhere. I connected my golf cart battery. The engine spun over and the OIL light went out while cranking. To me that indicates it was building oil pressure. All the exterior/interior/dash lights and buzzer work. I tried the blower motor but did not hear anything. I removed the gas cap. The filler opening smelled like fresh gas even tho it is 30+ years old. No varnish odor.
Bad - while cranking the engine no fuel exited the fuel pump. I jarred the car but could not hear any fuel sloshing. That could mean the fuel evaporated. I may invest in a HF boroscope to look inside the tank. The fuel gauge pegged past the F mark so I suspect the fuel sender will need to be replaced at some point.

Next on my list is adding five (5) gallons of ethanol free fuel and check the fuel pump again. I have a new fuel pump but I will need to "stand on my head" to replace the pump.

I chased a mouse out of the engine compartment. I have poison and trap near by. The interior is "clean". No evidence of varmints. There are tissues in the back seat and undisturbed. Keeping my fingers crossed that they do not move into the interior.

Last edited by farmer52; December 29th, 2023 at 05:08 AM.
Old December 29th, 2023, 05:50 AM

Good progress! I would use a gas can and put a little in carb and see if it fires. If does then run a fuel line from fuel pump inlet directly to gas can- that will eliminate gas tank from picture. Very encouraging!!